Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: compaq pasario will not boot up  (Read 4190 times)

Jeffrey Hasbrouck

compaq pasario will not boot up
« on: April 18, 2005, 03:15:51 AM »
When I turn on my compaq pasario 5000 computer nothing happens except that the num lock light on the keyboard flashes. I have checked everything, connections,cards and cmos battery. I cannot even get into bios setup options. I have emailed compaq and they are unable to help me either.

Anyone with possible solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.   ;D

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: compaq pasario will not boot up
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 06:29:44 AM »
Have you scanned for viruses? It sounds like your computer is "powering-up" properly, but is not loading Windows, which sounds to me like the work of a virus... Have you scanned? Which Operating System is this? Also, have you installed any new hardware/software prior to this incident?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Jeffrey Hasbrouck

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 07:49:55 PM »
I cannot get the system to even go through the boot up process.
The only thing that happens when I power up is That I hear the hard drive spinning and the num lock light flashes on the keyboard.

I have not added any new hardware to the system at all.

Thank's for the input.

Jeff

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2005, 12:58:45 PM »
But does the computer shut down, or do the fans still spin? In simpler terms, is the computer still powered on?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

ojas25

Apprentice

• My Computer World
    « Reply #4 on: April 19, 2005, 02:34:53 PM »
    Hi This has happemed to one of my clients with the same model and the only way out we found was to have the data recovered and install all data onto a new computer. You cannot use the recovery disks that came with the computer as they have no boot up sector. I would never buy a computer of any type if it comes with recovery disks. If you can get into the BOIS and have the computer boot from CD and you buy OME Windows disk that is the full version and reformat  the hard drive. If not the only place for the computer is the trash can. Sometimes with a bit of luck you can put a full version Windows XP disk in the drive and reboot (but not the recovery disks) it it will start up, but as I said with some luck but in most cases it won,t.
    « Last Edit: April 19, 2005, 02:36:28 PM by ojas25 »
    Computers are my hobby and my income love working with computers

rs8389

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2005, 04:58:39 PM »
    Woah, woah....  Ojas, before you go around advocating the purchase of a new comp, consider this:  wouldn't it be possible to buy a new motherboard instead?  If it's not going into BIOS, chances are, it's either the PSU or the Motherboard...  If the computer actually stays on (Whether anything boots or not), chances are, the PSU is fine...  In which case, the motherboard would be the only potential problem.  Then...  Can't Jeffrey buy a new motherboard for $50 rather than a new computer for $500?  Well, I'm not too sure about this, cause I've never tried to replace the motherboard, but I'm sure it's possible...

Jeffrey Hasbrouck

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2005, 06:24:39 AM »
    Thank's for the information. After I power up the computer, and all I get is the num lock light that flashes on the keyboard, the power does stay on, but I am unable to do anything else.

I did think that the motherboard was bad but I was hoping that it was not.

I suppose that since I can't get past the flashing num lock light on the keyboard, I will not be able to get into the bios.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I would really appreciate them.

If not, I guess I'll be replacing the motherboard this weekend.

Thank's

Jeff