Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Added RAM causing blue screen errors.  (Read 2821 times)

UDodgem

Topic Starter

Starter

Added RAM causing blue screen errors.
    « on: January 18, 2009, 10:22:30 AM »
    Help!  I have only gotten the run around with all other tech help.  I have a Gateway desktop, running Windows XP, version 2002, service pack 3 (will return to this later).  It is a basic setup with an Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.66GHz, 2.67GHz, 192 MB of RAM.  I wanted to add 1 GB of RAM and was told not to worry about anything, just install and my computer would recognize the upgrade.  At first, all was well.  My computer was faster and all worked fine.  However, after about 24 hours, a blue screen error would pop up and shut my computer off.  Then, Windows tried to do a Sevice Pack 3 upgrade, which had already been done, but computer would not allow without using the start-up disc (I never received a start-up disc for windows XP because it was pre-installed).   Gateway went though a patial buyout and the company, MPC is going through Chapter 11 and I cannot get help from them.  I have been told to adjust my BIOS, but HOW and to WHAT adjustments????

spacecat9

Beginner

• Hardware Guru
      Re: Added RAM causing blue screen errors.
      « Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 06:41:26 PM »
      try removing the old ram and just use the one gig. sounds like youve got both in there.
      Hope all goes well.

Spacecat9 :)

UDodgem

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 06:55:40 PM »
        Spacecat9, First off, thanks for replying.  Secondly, can I just replace the original RAM?  I have a 2 DIMM slot and #2 is open.  Also, I was told I could add up to 2GB, but didn't want to push it.  Last, but not least, once old RAM is out, new RAM installed, will computer and operating system acknowledge and allow upgrades without installing start-up disc?   Really, I mean it when I say "Thanks!"  You are the only advice I've gotten.

spacecat9

Beginner

• Hardware Guru
          « Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 08:02:14 PM »
          yeah it should. many machine funtion best when both ram chip are the same size
          Hope all goes well.

Spacecat9 :)

Broni

Mastermind
          • Kraków my love :)
            • Computer Help Forum
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 08:37:51 PM »
          spacecat9 is correct, and there is no reason to worry about old RAM. 1gig is plenty for XP.
          If any BSOD will pop-up again, make sure to let us know, what it says.

UDodgem

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 07:43:41 PM »
            To Broni and Spacecat9:  Thank you very much, I hope.  Went with your suggestion, and all is good as of now...Knock on wood...lol.  Oh, and by the way, I believe that the errors were partially/all? caused by the fact that Gateway/someone added Works to my system.  Microsoft tech thinks this was causing problems because I use Windows XP Home OS and because of Works, my computer was trying to upgrade/override and change OS to Windows XP Office/Professional.  Make sense to any of you??  Still a raw novice, but with y'all and this site, I hope to improve...Thanks again. 

Broni

Mastermind
            • Kraków my love :)
              • Computer Help Forum
            • Computer: Specs
            • Experience: Experienced
            « Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 08:09:51 PM »
            All kudos go to Spacecat9 :)
            I'm not sure what to tell you about Works thingy.