Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Intel mobo DG965wh - bootmgr is missing  (Read 3357 times)

nork

Topic Starter

Rookie

Intel mobo DG965wh - bootmgr is missing
    « on: January 21, 2009, 03:28:59 PM »
    6 MONTHS AGO
    About 6 months ago i installed win xp pro and then vista ultimate upgrade on this same mobo on this first install i used an ide hard drive and ide dvdrom. I installed this to test everything and never used it. This was about 5 months ago.

NOW
    Right now its a totally different setup and i am getting this error message "bootmgr is missing". I am using a win vista business version. I started from a bare mobo and now i have a sata WD raptor (WD1500ADFD) and a sata dvdrom. I have the raptor on sata0
    and the dvdrom on sata1 on this intel mobo. I have 2 x 1 gig ram dual channel, a 17 inch lcd monitor and a floppy drive. So there is nothing on the ide channels.
    I got the raptor from someone who knows his stuff so i imagine its in good condition but i dont know if its been formatted, probably has been, but i dont think it matters? I have the standard sata connectors connected to the raptor and not the legacy 4 pin molex as per instructions at WD and on a pdf file that i downloaded from WD so i
    think that is correct. There are no jumpers on the drive.

The problem is that i keep getting the same error message "bootmgr is missing". I have tried all sorts of bios settings, AHCI and so on, and i have the first boot device set as cdrom. I think i have the right bios settings but i dont know for sure.  The problem seems to be with sata as far as i can figure, which isnt too far. Im not a tech or a guru by any means,  so i need all the help i can get and quick before my working pc dies on me. Its been running for 9 yrs now and my data drive just crapped out on me so i need help to get this sucker going.

I have emailed intel but so far no answer from them.

thank you

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Intel mobo DG965wh - bootmgr is missing
    « Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 03:56:13 PM »
    Im not a tech or a guru by any means,  so i need all the help i can get and quick before my working pc dies on me.

Well I am an old guru. But I would not even try to bring up system that was on an IDE by just doing a clone onto the SATA, which seems to be what you tried to do.

If you want a dual boot. you have to install XP first. Or so I am told. But Vista handles partition management differently. And bolting from a IDE/ATA is not exactly  he same as booting a SATA. Even with adapters.

Bring the system back up with XP and a IDE drive. Then work you way up from there. You may have to keep an IDE in the system just to get the SATA up.

OR, just install VISTA oin the SATA. Forget XP.
    You have said you are not a Guru and you are already got four things working against you.
    1. Trying to use SATA adapters.
    2. Trying to put XP and Vista together.
    3. Truing to use an install that was done with IDE.
    4. Working with a system you left months ago.

But wait, somebody here who knows more that I do will come in.

nork

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 04:04:40 PM »
      Darn, i was sure i made it clear i am not working with anything from the old setup.
      Here is what i said on that:

"NOW
       Right now its a totally different setup "

So its a totally different setup. I took the ide stuff right out of the picture, as i stated.
      Its a whole new fresh install with none of the old parts involved at all. The only thing original is the mobo\cpu\hs\fan\power supply, floppy and monitor. There is NO win xp, NO ide drive of any kind.

It shouldnt be too hard for someone to help me with installing sata.
      thank you

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 04:41:25 PM »
      OK. Now let's start over.
      Do an install of XP on a IDE drive.
      Once up, try to find the SATA drive.
      The SATA drive may have more instructions on it.
      What is the document you are reading?
      Can you give us a link to it?

nork

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 06:05:27 PM »
        The guy i got the raptor drive from know his stuff. All he did was take some pics off of it, delete the rest and give it to me.
        Here is the main info on the raptor:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1405&p_created=

http://support.wdc.com/product/spec.asp?groupid=601&lang=en

nork

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 06:06:50 PM »
          To be honest, i would like to try something different besides installing xp pro on an ide drive. Isnt there some other remedy?

Do sata drivers have to be installed? I have intel sata drivers that came with the mobo. Its a retail box so i have the manual as well. I went thru it and i believe i have the right bios settings.
          I have seen that question asked so many times but im not sure of the correct answer. It seems to me that win vista should have sata drivers incorporated into it ? I would really like to know the answer to that because i do have the intel sata drivers.

I have also been here, but it doesnt apply to me because i cant get as far as the recovery.
          http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927391

I have another sata raptor, the only difference being its only 74 gigs. I took the 150 gig sata raptor off and installed the 74 gig sata raptor. It booted into windows xp pro. Since its not my win xp pro and its set up for another mobo its of no value but i see that the boot sequence ignored the fact that its supposed to boot off the dvd drive and went straight to the hard drive instead.
          Tells me that there could be something wrong with my media.
          Its a copy of win vista business with a licence, its from a university, my cousin gave it to me to use. Is it possible for someone to tell me the list of files and folders that is supposed to be on this dvd, and possibly the total size so i can compare, make sure this dvd is what its supposed to be? My cousin gave at to me as an iso and i burned it to dvd. I think i did it right, but, again, if i knew what files are supposed to be on the root and what folders are supposed to be on the root then it would help me make sure this dvd is correct.
          thanks

« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 07:07:17 PM by nork »

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 12:55:05 AM »
          Well, I have tried to tell you the best I know.
          There are two methods:
          1. This kind of stuff is a lot of work where you do a slow, incremental test
          of this and test of that until you catch a detail that was missing.
          2. You have a real Live mentor that takes you step my step through the process and you see how he does it.

Trying to do it some 'easy' way like making a copy of a bunch of files does not work. That went out, I think with windows version 3. The installation of Windows XP and Vista is a very complex process. It is amazing that it even works at all.

And Vista can be deployed in a variety of ways. It is hard to find a standard 'list' of all the files you might need. I have a book here I have been trying to read for over a year. It is about how to deploy VISTA over a network.  Not easy stuff.By the time I finish the book they will be in Windows 7.

I stated out trying to learn NT. They dropped that before I could finish the books. Then is was Windows 2000. Again I bought some more books. Lots of them. And then along can Windows XP and I bought just one big book,  didn't finish it. The I got the Vista book. Have not yet got to the part where is says there is a easy way for anyone to install VISTA.

nork

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 08:28:36 AM »
            I wanted to get a list of the files and folders to check against my dvd to make sure its complete.
            But i have an iso so i guess i can do that myself, although it would be good to check against what someone else has to make sure. Course there are a lot of iterations of vista and i need someone who has vista business full version, only that one.

I certainly didnt mention copying over files, dont know where you got that idea. You got other ideas above and they also didnt have anything to do with what i am talking about, not really helping me any, treating me like a child, making all your own conclusions having nothing to do with what i was talking about, just killing this thread. Whos gonna read it all? Hope you learn from this and dont do it to everyone. You decided i was trying to use the old ide setup when i clearly pointed out i had a new sata drive, then again you decided i wanted to copy files when i clearly stated i wanted to compare them, just killed this thread is what you did.  Clearly you dont know as much as you think you do.

If anyone reads all of this they will see what i am talking about.

Dias de verano

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 10:48:51 AM »
            nork, easy with the attitude, or the answers may dry up...

Quote from: nork
            just killed this thread is what you did.

No, you did that.

JOTM?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            « Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 12:23:04 PM »
            I wanted to get a list of the files and folders to check against my dvd to make sure its complete.
            But i have an iso so i guess i can do that myself,

Why do you think that is easier that the procedure I gave you? I am not making wild guess as to you problem, you are the one that is lacking the information and trying an approach the is futile.
            I will make it more simple:

Code: [Select]
            On your system you can not
            install VISTA using a SATA CD-ROM
            and a SATA hard drive. It will fail.

Which by now you should already know. You could spend weeks finding the answer by asking the wrong questions. I, or many others here, could do the install on your system in a day by using a trial and error process that follows s a logical path. We install VISTA or XP on an IDE using a IDE DVD or CD. If we get that far, we know the CD and the hardware basically work. Next we see if it can find the SATA. If not, we try the STAA drivers for the Intel motherboard. Then we ask somebody how to install VISTA on a SATA. It has been documented that it is hard to install VISTA on a SATA system in many cases.  But not impossible. First installing it on a IDE from a IDE gives you a platform to work from. The when you know the hardware is OK, and you know there is a way to do the install, you can come up with a simplified procedure, if that is possible.  You already tried a direct install and you found that it does not work. That does not mean the the media you have is bad, and you can not assume that there is out there a media that is easier to install that the one your have.

Besides, there is a policy on the forum not to tell people how to "hack" an install. I have tried to stay inside those boundaries by giving you procedures that are appropriate for individuals who just want to try different things on a individual, personal level in accord with the spirit of the academic favor that Microsoft has provided to people who just want to learn. You already have enough unilateral that you can learn a lot about how an Windows operating system installs.