Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Firewire Tryer  (Read 2539 times)

kop442000

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    Firewire Tryer
    « on: April 19, 2005, 05:35:10 AM »
    I have just installed a firewire card into my PC, so that I can use my ipod with it.

It seems to be installed ok - I see no conflicts or anything, but if I have the ipod plugged in via the firewire, halfway through the boot up (after the windows logo has appeared), the screen stay at the black part... and doesn't get any further. If I then pull the ipod connector out of the firewire port, it continues, and loads windows.
    (Or if I leave it out from the start it loads fine).

It seems to be ok if I only connect the ipod after booting up, but this is onconvenient as the ipod is docked to my PC most of the time.

Can anyone tell me why my computer is doing this, and what I can do to rememdy the situation?

Many thanks in advance for any replies posted!!
    Kop442000

Kablam

Re: Firewire Tryer
    « Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 06:10:56 AM »
    Is it just the Pod beeing connected or any firewire device. also if you have the dock plugged in but not the pod does it still boot

kop442000

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
      « Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 06:25:39 AM »
      Thanks for the reply!

I don't have any other firewire devices to try, but:

I tried booting with the firewire dock plugged in, but leaving the ipod undocked, and it booted fine!

Tried again with the ipod in its dock, and it got stuck.

So what does this mean?

Many thanks,
      Kop442000.

Kablam

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2005, 06:33:26 AM »
      It means it could be a pod issue? try plugging someone elses pod into it. If it boots fine then i would speak to apple. if you get the same problem then just stick the pod in after it boots?
      « Last Edit: April 19, 2005, 06:34:01 AM by Kablam »

rs8389

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2005, 05:01:40 PM »
      That happened with my father's USB external hard drive as well...  I solved the problem by playing around with the boot order in BIOS (In my case, I turned off the setting that said "Boot from USB devices" or something...  But I'm sure you can get the same effect by disabling the "Try other boot options" setting.)...