Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: NVidia GeForce FX5200 replacement GPU cooling fan/heatsink  (Read 8256 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
NVidia GeForce FX5200 replacement GPU cooling fan/heatsink
« on: January 27, 2009, 11:25:02 AM »
Anyone know of a good site to find a replacement GPU cooling fan/heatsink for a GeForce video card. The fan is bound and the video card was saved before it overheated by the fact that I heard a groaning noise and it was the GPU cooling fan.

Looking on the web I find tons of CPU cooling fans/ heatsinks for all socket types, but cant seem to find anyone selling replacement GPU heatsinks and cooling fans.

This video card although about 5 years old and AGP 8x, it is still good for WoW and some older games and dont have a need to upgrade just yet on this older computer. My main gaming system has a PCIe GeForce 8500GT with 512MB.

Thanks

ThrowingShapes

Beginner

Re: NVidia GeForce FX5200 replacement GPU cooling fan/heatsink
    « Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 11:44:17 AM »
    I tried looking around for you and couldn't find anything recent as far as replacements go.

I checked newegg to see if they still sold them, and they do for about $25-30.  I also couldn't find a model that had a fan on it when I went through most of the ones on newegg.  Not sure if it will help much but can you provide the manufacturer?  Sorry if you already did and I missed it.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 12:02:49 PM »
    This may not be standard advice, but if the heatsink is fine, you can usually just strap on any old fan and it will be fine.
    It may not connect to the power connectors on the card as they're usually 2 pin and sometimes an odd size, but a spare motherboard or PSU connector will do the job (depending on the type of connector on the fan).
    The size for an FX5200 heatsink is likely to be 30-60mm (that's a pure guess based on ... instinct, I guess you'd call it ... I don't know what kind of cooling system your card has).

I'm a big fan of improvisation, and whilst it's not the best solution for everyone, it works for me.
    Example: My Radeon 8500LE, with a Northbridge heatsink held down with thermal paste and a few drops of superglue at the edges, with a 40mm fan hanging on the edge with a screw.  Works perfectly.  Your mileage may vary.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 04:23:59 PM »
    Also if you remove the card and take it to a PC store you may be able to match up an almost identical replacement...spend a little extra for a bearing fan and it will reward you with a longer lifespan.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 05:24:34 PM »
    Thanks everyone who posted. I found a small 12VDC Fan on ebay for $3.00 which should do the trick with a male-P connector that I had from somewhere, electrical tape, and superglue to glue it to the top of the heat sink....This should work out well.