Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dropping internet connection?  (Read 2145 times)

jmy2469

Topic Starter

Dropping internet connection?
    « on: February 03, 2009, 09:20:37 AM »
    I use a D-Link DGL-4300 router and have a desktop upstairs,desktop in the basement,along with a Sony PS3 and Xbox 360. Optimum Online is my ISP and I have a Surfboard 4200 cable modem.I am running Windows Vista Home Premium. The other day I lost my internet connection and have not been able to get things back online. I have unplugged the power to the cable modem,shut down my PC,then plug the power back on the cable modem. It cycles through power light,receive light,and send light are all solid green,when it come down to the online light,it just keeps on flashing. I was able yesterday to get it connected,but lost the connection once again. It's ben driving me crazy and I do not know what to check next.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Dropping internet connection?
    « Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 11:03:40 AM »
    The support people will drive you crazy until you do this.

Un hook everything. While you have things complicated they will blame you.

Put it back together with just the modem and one reliable PC.
    Go do the power off and power on and reboot and reboot thing a number of times. Three should be enough.

Call the ISP people and tell them to fix the modem or replace it or you are going with another company. ( The problem can be in the line or cable. The mode, is telling you the line/cavle  is bad. either the line/cable  is bad or the modem is bad.)

Sometimes the local phone/cable company does not do the job. Nobody wants to increase capital investment now.  >:(

jmy2469

Topic Starter

Re: Dropping internet connection?
      « Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 11:08:40 AM »
      I am going to try to connect the modem right to the PC when I get home and see what happens. I was able to reset this last night and had a connection. Went to use the computer after dinner and it dropped it again. Thanks for the help.