Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Search Results Redirecting to Best Web Choices  (Read 5149 times)

cfnyy51

Topic Starter

Rookie

Search Results Redirecting to Best Web Choices
    « on: February 07, 2009, 04:18:13 PM »
    I am trying to help a friend with his computer but I may be stuck.  Here are the issues:

After searching for anything on Google, Yahoo,etc., when I choose the result desired another tab opens taking me usually to bestwebchoices.com.  The tab with the search results remains at the same page, still showing the search results.  I can access sites if i know the URL, but any website found via a search result cannot be reached.   

Regarding removal software:

-Spybot S & D does not open
    -Superantispyware's site "cannot be found".  I also tried clicking the link for its download via ComputerHope's removal "sticky" thread, and I received the same result.
    -Malwarebytes anti-malware has the same issue.
    -Avira Antivir:  I was able to download the program and run the virus scan.  There were 8 virus detections:
             - Dropper.gen (twice)
             - BHO.9216
             - startpage.hmi (twice)
             - startpage.21845.k (three times)

I moved them to the quarantine.

I tried opening up spybot in safe mode, which did not work either.  I have attached a hijackthis log to this post.

I apologize if I have not followed any appropriate guidelines.  My friend is leaving town tomorrow, so we do not have much time.

Please let me know if there is any further information I should provide.  Thank you in advance.

In addition, although it may not be an issue, the computer also is behind approx. 1 day on the clock.

[attachment deleted by admin]