Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help! I can't figure out what to do about the CSS problems  (Read 2980 times)

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
  • Experience: Familiar
Help! I can't figure out what to do about the CSS problems
« on: February 08, 2009, 04:05:06 PM »
 :'(
I'm having a very hard time. I thought I was understanding how to create websites, but now I find out I'm missing files. CSS files. I have no idea how to create one. See I found out about CSS when trying to get help on tables alignment because I started helping out one of my sisters and her husband with making a website for his new job.
The other thing too, is that due to my health, more than 1 chronic illness I've got going on, I'm basically homebound. I do really enjoy creating things, and helping others out too in life whenever I can. It helps me to feel better whenever I can help out with things.
Anyways, so for years now I've been designing websites with just HTML. So, with just HTML files and I've got a scanner and when I scan pictures, I usually save them with a .jpg extension. Is that correct? I hope I'm understanding things correctly. I have been creating sites on places like Angelfire, Geocities, Tripod.
I've done pages with Tables, and Frames.
The other thing too, I've also got a bunch of spyware and stuff on my computer. I guess that could be messing things up too. I got hit with something called an MBKWBar Toolbar a few years ago right after I had to download AIM for an online computer class I had just signed up for at the college here PJC Pensacola Junior College. The class was called Computer Concepts And Applications. One of the 1st assignments was to download AIM and register with a screenname and give it to the teacher. Both me and my mom had heard of viruses, but spyware, adware, malware all that stuff had not heard of. I also did have Norton on my computer. But sure didn't stop the toolbar from coming through and installed itself in my Internet Explorer. Then it just kept flooding me with popup ads and then of course would freeze up the computer from all the ads. 
Anyways, so after that happend, a repairman we called is how we found out about spyware, adware, malware, all that stuff. He wanted to reformat the hard drive, but since I had just got signed up for the class and everything all ready, didn't want to erase everything and then I would have a terrible time getting set back up.
He installed Mozilla, and put try not to use in  parentheses with Internet Explorer. Which I had to use Internet Explorer for the class. The chatroom and stuff like that would not work with Mozilla. I also kept getting hit with more spyware and popup ads with Mozilla. So, that did not stop anything.

Anyways, I did get an A in the class, but I struggled all through it with certain things not working properly. Like this disc we had for the class. Plus other programs I guess you would call them I kept having problems with things not working right. I guess because of the spyware and stuff I got hit with causing things not to work properly.

Anyways, back to the CSS thing. I find out something about CSS files when I try and get help on a table alignment issue. I went to an html help forum and they say something about not using tables and CSS. I'm trying to figure out what do they mean about not using tables, and also what do they mean about CSS. Are we not allowed to use Tables anymore? If I don't use tables, I have a terrible time getting things to line up properly. I like to put like a picture in the middle and links to other portions of the site on the left and right side of the picture on the main, 1st page.
So, I do a table with the picture in the middle cell, and links in the left and right cell.
I also keep getting confused on the background thing too. I thought that you could use an image for the background of the page. So, I have some backgrounds I like, one of them, the name of the file is lightblue.jpg
So, I do a code like this
<body background="lightblue.jpg">
Someone keeps telling me that it's wrong and that it will make my page be yellow, and then saying something about the background and scroll thing too. Not sure if I understand what they mean. Now people keep trying to take me back to step #1 and keeps really confusing me. They keep thinking I'm a beginner, which makes it even more worse because of the questions I'm asking them and then they confuse me even worse. I'm trying to figure out what to do about the CSS thing. Are my sites going to blow up due to not having some CSS files or something. Not sure what to do.
I also thought that you could use things like Microsoft Word to create a website, but people are saying that Microsoft Word is not meant to be a CSS or Html editor. Which I don't understand because when you put the mouse over Microsoft Word when clicking and then its in the list there, it says in that tooltip message it's used to create and edit text and graphics in letters, reports, web pages, or e-mail messages by using Microsoft Word.
But if I click on save as in any program I have, nothing seems to allow me to save anything with a css extension. I've got things like Notepad and Wordpad, Powerpoint, Excel. None of those seem to allow me to use a CSS extension.
Here are some links to sites I've created over the years, and then you can see what I already know how to do, instead of starting from step #1 as a beginner.
One of my Jonathan Taylor Thomas websites-
http://www.angelfire.com/fl/JTT99
Here is another one of my Jonathan sites on Geocities with frames
http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/Stage/8349/index.html

One of my biggest questions about the codes is what type of brackets to type everything in between. You will be able to see my codes. I've typed things between the greater than less than brackets. I thought that was correct when talking about tags? Like <a>[/url] for links? or is it <link></link>
That is one thing I keep getting a bit confused on is what brackets to type everything in between when first beginning to type at the top of the page.
I hope I'm understanding that correct.
Like if I wanted to put a link for your all site on mine I would put Computer Hope Forum
Is that correct?, and then the text I put Computer Hope Forum after that > is what people will be able to actually see? Am I understanding that correct? Then they click on it and come here? and I put the quotes around everything like I did and then the ending a tag [/url] like I did?
Thanks,
Amy