Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Website Host for online store  (Read 3936 times)

angelec23

Topic Starter

Beginner
    Website Host for online store
    « on: February 28, 2009, 07:22:31 PM »
    OK, I have looked and looked and I really need soem good honest help here. Which web host is the best? I am opening an online store and would like to spend as little as possible until I can get it up and running with a little traffic, then maybe go a little bigger. I am lost when searching for the best one. Can someone please help me? Is there any that you can you REALLY trust? ???

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Website Host for online store
    « Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 07:48:24 PM »
    ...good honest help here...

Hard to do. But there are some places that are at least up front with what you will have to pay. You can get a store on eBay. You can use the tools they have and likely will pay less and get more traffic that anything else. Unless you are a real Genius in marketing, and if that were so, you would not ask  here. I guess.

I have been selling on eBay for about ten years and did alright, as long as I had something to sell. But I hardly ever did any business on my own web sites.
    Try eBay. It is the cheap way to get large exposure. If you have good stuff at the right price, it will sell.

That is about as honest as it gets!

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 10:47:33 AM »
    Which web host is the best?
    Who knows?  There are hundreds of them, so I don't think anybody can really say which one is best.  I've used http://www.totalchoicehosting.com/.  You might try them. The Starter plan is only $4/mo., with no setup fee and you're not obligated to stay with them for a certain period of time.
    « Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 12:10:09 PM by soybean »

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 12:04:42 PM »
    Oh. I forgot to mention.
    Make sure you web host company is NOT in anyway part of your Domain registrar.
    I had some neat domain names. I made the mistake of using a hosting package from my registrar. I did not like it, tried to cancel it. Did it the wrong way. paid extra money to cancel it and them they accused me of fraud and took away my domain names.
    Now I use other hosting companies.
    It you want to see want kind of stuff you get in the super cheap companies, send me a PM and I will let you borrow an inactive site I have and you can play with it. Can not hurt you, except it may be a waste of your time.  ;D

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 12:12:10 PM »
    then maybe go a little bigger.

"Start as you mean to go on."

If there is a good chance your site will get big enough to change servers/hosts, then choose the right one from the start.

bboy131

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 11:04:50 PM »
      You can really use any webhost. If you want to spend a low amount I recommend 1&1 because they have hosting starting out at like $4 a month which is a killer deal. For an online store you won't need much space since you aren't hosting videos and large files. So you could start off with a low cost host with small GB of storage, they start you off at around 10GB. Host your store and when it starts to grow, upgrade to a larger host/server.

If you need any help with starting your site and store, please let me know. Good luck!
      http://www.techslip.net - Free PC Help, Proud Sponsor Of Pro Gamers Worldwide!

angelec23

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 09:26:59 AM »
        Thank you to everyone who responded. I am now trying 1and 1 and so far so good!
        STAY Away from Homestead.com.... hidden fees, can not use your own HTML and anything you upload, you own, but by uploading it to their site, you are giving them permission to use everything royalty free. For thier own use or to third parties.... ugh! Anyway, thank you all for your help!!

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 10:28:06 AM »
        Thanks for the heads-up.

1&1 seems to have a good record, so good luck with them. :)

jbmwx

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 09:05:03 PM »
        yahoo store page costs $39.95 a month. That might be good for you if you like the feature sets it gives you and you think the price is reasonable.