Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: startup errors  (Read 2774 times)

fnark

startup errors
« on: May 01, 2005, 01:31:09 PM »
Hello, i built my own computer off various parts from various places. It ran find for a few months but then began getting random restarts, they didnt happen that often so i didnt think much of it. Last night however my computer came up with a blue screen, but crashed half way through showing it (Sodding windows eh?). I turned it off and didnt try to use it until today, when it is doing either a number of things
1. It boots fine with the normal one beep but the screen dislays nothing
2.It boots with no beep and no screen and when you can only turn it off by pressing and holding the power button, or on the switch at the back, it did this before but normally restarting would boot it up fine.
3.It boots but then continuously beeps and comes up with an error on screen, something like Bios Checksum Error, Drive A No MEdia (sorry i forgot to write it down, but thats pretty close. It also says something about a floppy drive, which is very strange because i have no floppy on there.

Any help atall would be extremly welcome, im pretty sure its a mobo problem, but im sure someone out there knows better.

Dr Wahab

Intermediate
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    Re: startup errors
    « Reply #1 on: May 01, 2005, 01:46:40 PM »
    Well friend. First of all, do take out the RAM stick out and remove any dust both from RAM and RAM slots. The out them back as they was. Not goto BIOS and select "load BIOS default".
    Now restart. I do hope that it will start working fine.
    Also check that CPU fan is working properly.
    Do take care of you and others and be happy.
    DeW
    do take care of you and others

fnark

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005, 01:48:51 PM »
    rightyho ill go and do that, ill be back shortly with an update. The ram is different speeds and sizes, that wouldnt have anything to do with it aswell would it?

fnark

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2005, 02:06:00 PM »
    Thankyou dr, that sorted out the problem with the bios checksum error, the first times i booted it came up fine, read the memory- but then it wouldnt go any thurther, stayed on the POST screen without displaying any of the drives. I reset and this time i got all the startup noises, fan, hdd, cd drive etc- but no beep and no screen. Any ideas? im thinking maybe power failure, i am running 3 hdd and a cd off a 300w.

fnark

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2005, 12:11:55 PM »
    Fixed!
    The cmos battery was loose! and i reset it just incase.
    My advice to anyone with same problem is to check ALL the connections.Thanks to everyone who helped!