Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can connect to network, can't open browser, help please  (Read 3804 times)

alexkeysmusic

Topic Starter

Can connect to network, can't open browser, help please
    « on: March 24, 2009, 03:28:30 PM »
    hi, ok i have read all the faq's etc.. and tried various troubleshooting..

hope it's something really simple  ::)

for the last 2 weeks, i have been able to connect to wireless network, no problem.  but whenever i open my interent browser, it always comes up with the "this page cannot be displyed" page.

really annoying, it's on an XP system and of course it's Internet Explorer.  i've tried deleting some web-related problems, i don't know too much about LAN settings etc.. but i'm sure that is not the problem.

please help me and send some advice.

many thanks,

alex

brundle

Re: Can connect to network, can't open browser, help please
    « Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 06:55:01 PM »
    Which version of Internet Explorer (6,7,8 - I doubt you have the finished version of 8, it was only made available a few days ago)? Have you checked LAN proxy settings? Have you tried a different browser, Portable Firefox run from a USB drive for example, if you can't access the internet to download anything on the machine itself? Using a third-party firewall? Lots of things to consider....

To check proxy settings;

Open Internet Explorer.

Click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options.

Click the Connections tab, and then click LAN settings.

If "Use a proxy server for your LAN" is ticked, untick it.

alexkeysmusic

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 01:15:32 AM »
      thanks brundle, no i checked proxy settings, nothing wrong there.

so i went and downloaded FireFox and installed it - EXactly the same problem "Page Not Found"

I have checked security options - i tried turning firewall on and off.  my virus protection is out of date - could this be to do with anything?

also, should have mentioned this before, all this happened since i tried to install a Wireless Router, i had problems trying to connect to 192.168.1.1 (a common problem).  is there something wrong with my default addresses, command prompt.

thanks for your time  ???

brundle

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 04:44:51 AM »
      Could well be to do with wireless. Does it work if you connect to the router with a cable? Do ipconfig /all from the command line from a cabled connection, then disconnect it and do ipconfig /all with a wireless connection. The important addresses are IP address and Default Gateway, DNS servers is also useful to note. What are the numbers, and do they differ depending on wired/wireless connection? Make and model of router would useful to know too.

mr tee

Beginner
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 01:46:12 PM »
        do you only have 1 fire wall installed if so i would run your modem supplier disk again its seems it may be your itp is the could be cause itp address may have slipped up some how.