Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HDD reads as removeable media  (Read 2732 times)

jim_me2

HDD reads as removeable media
« on: May 04, 2005, 11:40:37 PM »
Just got my unit back from the shop. New ASROCK K7S41GX motherboard c/w AMD 2.4Gb chip, 250Mb RAM, rage 128 pro video card, Maxtor 13.? Gb primary and a few other et cetera's.
Problem: Installed another Maxtor (91366U4) 15 Gb HDD from my old system which was ASUS p2-99 MB c/w Intel Celeron processor. The new system insists this drive is a removeable media type and won't let me read from or write to it. I have changed the jumpers, checked the ribbon cables and tried old ones, checked the power, changed the settings in setup, booted, rebooted, slapped and kicked it, tried prayer too but only got laughter.
I went to the Maxtor site and downloaded their 'Maxblast' system check program but when I tell it to create a boot disc it says I don't have a formatted floppy in the drive.
All of the above I have tried several times in different combinations to no avail. I should also mention that when I try a system scan or try to get system information with the 15Gig hooked up, the computer freezes. Obviously due to trying to interact with the drive.
Any suggestions - aside from dynamite?
Thanks
jim

Kablam

Re: HDD reads as removeable media
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2005, 01:35:27 AM »
I would advise finding wether it is a probalem with the MOBO or the HD then replacing the component. What happens when the HD is plugged into a different p.c and when a different HD is plugged into the MOBO?

jim_me2

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 11:16:06 AM »
The HDD was with the old MB and was my d: drive and worked fine. I screwed up the BIOS when I flashed it. The %$#&%*** thing froze half way through. Transferred HDD to new MB after getting it back.
The shop said that AMD won't read Intel coding(?) so I would have to format and start fresh. Unfortunately, my address book and other necessary documents are on this drive and I don't want to lose them.
What happens when the HD is plugged into a different p.c?
 The only other machine I have is a 486 and it just looks the other way with envious disdain and loathing.
when a different HD is plugged into the MOBO?
The 13 Gb Maxtor works fine. They formatted it and reloaded my Win98 on it. At least they burned my Mandrake Linux .ISO's to CD and gave them to me before formatting.
What it comes down to is that I have no access to this drive and can't afford - emotionally or financially - to lose the data.   ??? :-/ :'(

Kablam

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 11:42:40 AM »
I really don't follow whats going on but if you want to retrive the data i would suggest plugging the HD that works in your new p.c and moving it all across using the old p.c then formating the faulty drive