Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: video conversion problem -- virus or ??? please help! :)  (Read 2174 times)

hamgmt

video conversion problem -- virus or ??? please help! :)
« on: March 27, 2009, 05:47:03 PM »
hello all,

i often run video conversion software to convert movies or tv shows to mp4 so i can wath on my ipod.  i have over a period of time used several different programs, like videora, kongfusoft i think, 3gp, etc.  i used to not have this problem, but: over the past month of two, whenever i run the program it frequently shuts the pc down entirely!  then after i re-boot, if i run it again it generally runs without the problem the second time.  this happens with a bunch of different programs; i tried to switch the prog when the problem started and it kept happening so i switched a few times.

someone suggested that it might be some kind of virus, OR that i might have more than one program that is trying to use some resource at the same time.  i have un-installed each prog as i used the next one, so don't know about that, but anything is possible i guess.  anyone have any suggestions on how i could possibly figure out what about a video converter causes my pc to simply shut off in the middle (it doesn't shut down, it simply turns off, all of a sudden)?  i dunno if there's some virus my software missed, or if the idea of resources being over-used is possible.  any thoughts, by all means lemme know!  since it didn't ALWAYS do this, something's changed, but i can't narrow it down to a specific time and date to tell what i might have added or something.  maybe i haven't un-installed the other progs correctly...?

thanks much--

hamgmt :)

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: video conversion problem -- virus or ??? please help! :)
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 07:05:58 PM »
1. Download HijackThis:
http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/tools/security_tools/hijackthis/download
by clicking on Download HijackThis Installer
Install, and run it.
Post HijackTHis log.

NOTE. If you're using Vista, right click on HijackThis, and click Run as Administrator

We'll see what's running there.

2. Please, post some computer info:
- processor type, amount of RAM (hold Windows logo key, hit Pause/Break key)
- hard drive size/free space (open "My Computer", right click on hard drive letter, click "Properties")