Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer will not start fans on and lights  (Read 4297 times)

ricanvirginia

computer will not start fans on and lights
« on: May 06, 2005, 04:56:08 PM »
short version fans stay on no post?

I just got this computer as a second computer. it was not getting any power at all. so i went an bought the power surply, i installed it and now the fans come on and the lights in front come on. no hard drive noise, floppy or cd rom, and no monitor. just the fans and they stay on. when i push and hold the power button in front to turn it off it does not do anything.

stats
emachines t2040
atx
2ghz
40gb
256mb
56k modem
6usb ports
its one of those mother boards that eveything i on there the only card is the modem. power suply is 250 watt you know the one with 115/250 red button.

thank you for all your help.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: computer will not start fans on and lights
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 08:07:01 PM »
Did you replace the new power supply to have the same voltage as the new one? Or id the new one more powerful?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Chieftain459

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2005, 10:21:35 AM »
I'm having a similar issue--the only thing I can think of is the power supply--I've already taken steps to correct any other possible problems with mine--new mother board, processor, hard drive, etc.  Check out the post about a "no POST issue" in the computer hardware area--it may help.  It's the one that ends with "please read and help if possible."

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2005, 01:11:07 PM »
have you replaced anything else on this pc.like mobo/cpu  was it bought cheap??.....does seems to point to mobo?//
« Last Edit: May 07, 2005, 01:12:36 PM by merlin_2 »

ojas25

Apprentice

• My Computer World
    « Reply #4 on: May 07, 2005, 04:00:44 PM »
    It seems the connection fron the front panel to the motherboard is not connected the right way you might like to check to see if they are this way looking at the motherboard starting from front of the case Reset next to it HDD top row power might show as pwd or power sw nest to it power led and make sure all coloured wires are facing to the back of the case >like green orange ect.
    Computers are my hobby and my income love working with computers

jim_me2

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 12:44:15 PM »
    I may be out on a very tenuous limb but, it's possible your BIOS is empty. You said you got it as a second computer, new or used?
    jim

ricanvirginia

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2005, 09:31:08 PM »
    it was used and it did not have any power going to it. i replaced every thing the way i took it off. i have checked all the wires and i am guessing it is the motherboard. the led light the green one in front of the case is on and it stays on. i was thinking i would get some noise out of the hard drive or floppy.

again thank you all for your help.