Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: SSD Vs. VelociRaptor  (Read 2517 times)

Briguy

Topic Starter

Intermediate

SSD Vs. VelociRaptor
    « on: April 02, 2009, 03:28:36 PM »
    Is the solid state hard drive faster at reading and writing then the VelociRaptor?

Example http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820161316

VS

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136296

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Computer Hope
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: SSD Vs. VelociRaptor
    « Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 12:16:53 PM »
    Unfortunately both above links are broken because you've copied the short versions (notice the ... in the links) may want to use tinyurl when posting long links. However, the basic short answer to your question is yes. Usually a SDD HDD is going to be faster than even a 10,000RPM hard disk drive as well as more quiet. However, that being said you need to also consider the current cost and size of the SDD. Today all SDD are going to be dramatically more expensive than a traditional HDD and a lot smaller. So unless you've got money to spare, not that concerned about the lack of disk storage you can go SDD.

I've recently been working on a new system and had this same question and ended up going with a 10,000 RPM hard disk drive as apposed to a SDD. It's getting to be more affordable but I think it's still too much of a luxury item at this time. However, as more drives become available I'm sure it's going to be a lot more affordable and there will be larger drives.

p.s. if you Google the drives you can usually find comparison review sites for most SDD drives compared to a traditional HDD.
    Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
    -Albert Einstein

iamyourmom

Intermediate

• Blood Ravens Force Commander
      Re: SSD Vs. VelociRaptor
      « Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 09:52:24 PM »
      IN terms of efficientcy and speed, the SSD will beat the 10,000 RPM in terms of read speed.

And SSDs are more robust, and emits less heat, which means that they are more durable than a 10,000 RPM harddrive.

IN addition, standard spin harddrives will also eventually degrade over time.

BUT. SSD are helluva more expensive. So, depending on your budget and your needs.
      Please do not call your computer stupid when it breaks or lags. Computers can only do what they are programmed to. and thus, often it is the user that is stupid. GET MY DRIFT?