Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: A Computer dummy needs helps  (Read 13319 times)

rejoicing1

Re: A Computer dummy needs helps
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2005, 05:06:26 PM »
questions , questions........
I have been thinking the easiest route for us would be to look for a new, or unregistered Windows98CD that we could go ahead and install.  I have been roaming around ebay this afternoon checking out auctions of Windows98. I see lots of them, some say oem.( what's that?)
Also could we get a Windows98 second edition and install that? or would that cause problems?

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2005, 05:16:44 PM »
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I cannot tell you how much I appreciate you taking the time to help me on this. ... Is there any where I could purchase reasonable a new CD for Windows 98 if I cannot find my old one?

Thanks for saying so.   :)

I have to say there was a time when i used to think helping others was a waste of my time.  Then, someone introduced me to Christ, and now, well, He has changed me somehow.  In the past i couldn't resist the urge to put myself first, now i have this irresistible desire to help others out.  When i began learning about computers, the task was too overwhelming, so i promised God that if He'd help me learn i'd give away what i've learned to help others.  I guess that's why i'm here.

It's all about giving to others because He gave so much for me; as my friend John put it, "This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for [each other]." (1 John 3, verse 16).

To answer your question, a quick search of eBay.com for Windows 98 SE turned up nearly 2,000 hits!

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&rls=GGLD%2CGGLD%3A2004-51%2CGGLD%3Aen&q=%22windows+98+SE%22+site%3Aebay.com&btnG=Search

You may want to check some of these out to get an idea of what people are asking, then call a local computer repair shop to see if they have any Windows 98 Second Edition CDs available.  If you decide to make a bid at eBay, make sure to go only with those sellers who have a history of being honest in the past.

Blessings,
Doc
« Last Edit: May 10, 2005, 05:24:17 PM by pcdoc4christ »

rejoicing1

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2005, 07:11:52 AM »

Thanks for saying so.   :)

I have to say there was a time when i used to think helping others was a waste of my time.  Then, someone introduced me to Christ, and now, well, He has changed me somehow.  In the past i couldn't resist the urge to put myself first, now i have this irresistible desire to help others out.  When i began learning about computers, the task was too overwhelming, so i promised God that if He'd help me learn i'd give away what i've learned to help others.  I guess that's why i'm here.

It's all about giving to others because He gave so much for me; as my friend John put it, "This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for [each other]." (1 John 3, verse 16).

To answer your question, a quick search of eBay.com for Windows 98 SE turned up nearly 2,000 hits!

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&rls=GGLD%2CGGLD%3A2004-51%2CGGLD%3Aen&q=%22windows+98+SE%22+site%3Aebay.com&btnG=Search

You may want to check some of these out to get an idea of what people are asking, then call a local computer repair shop to see if they have any Windows 98 Second Edition CDs available.  If you decide to make a bid at eBay, make sure to go only with those sellers who have a history of being honest in the past.

Blessings,
Doc

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thank you. Have had to shelve the computer for a few days and just getting back to this forum. You said it so well.! Jesus gives us the desire to help others and reach out. Blessing comes in giving out of ourselves.

On to the computer now, you are saying then that  Windows SE would be ok? I think what we will do then is to purchase a Windows 98 SE and go in and wipe off what is there.......(we are playing around with 2 old computers).......and then try the fresh install with a purchased Windows off of ebay.I will do what you said though first, and call a local computer repair. I also will only buy from a reputable seller. I hear that many try and sell imposters and illegals.
If you happen on to ebay and see one that looks good and REASONABLE , give me a heads up!!! Thank you , and have a GREAT DAY.

rejoicing1

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2005, 12:22:33 PM »
Rejoicing:

I like the fact that the seller has a 100% satisfaction rating from eBay users.  I don't like the fact that the seller makes excuses about not checking every item sold.  Does this mean he will sell you a scratched CD that you cannot use?  I also would recommend Windows 98 Second Edition (not the original version of Windows 98).  You may pay a little more for it, but it will be worth the cost.

Another place to check would be Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/229658/104-9695529-0731913

I'd consider the full version over the upgrade (unless you are sure you have all the Windows 95 floppy disks and that none of them are damaged).

Blessings to you!
Doc

PS. How is your sister doing?  

« Last Edit: May 13, 2005, 12:25:35 PM by pcdoc4christ »

rejoicing1

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2005, 04:04:24 PM »
I will check Amazon. We ended up not finding the floppys, so we will have to purchase the full version. We will go for Windows98 SE.

My sister is still very much in pain and going through the post surgery blues that come with cancer.
Her hope is in the Lord, however. Thanks for asking.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2005, 04:37:10 PM »
That is a good place for her trust to be.

"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separtate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." (Romans, chapter 8, verses 38-39)

God bless you, your sister, et al.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2005, 04:38:45 PM by pcdoc4christ »

cassia Patricio

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2005, 05:33:16 PM »
I would like to know how to post a message in the internet. I actully want to post  about 500 copies of this massage that I have in my text file documents.

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #23 on: May 13, 2005, 05:41:56 PM »
    cassia Patricio, you need to start a new topic for this & I suggest you explain a little more of what you are trying to do.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2005, 06:37:00 PM »

<--- Agrees with FED

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2005, 06:46:08 PM »

<---- is wondering how the rejoicing one is doing

rejoicing1

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2005, 07:26:13 PM »

<---- is wondering how the rejoicing one is doing

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PCdoc,
    Sister is doing much better today. Took her dinner after church and her color looks better and swelling is going down in her legs.( caused by her heart condition!)

Haven't pursued the computer repairs this weekend, but we are going to call tomorrow to a computer repair and ask how much they charge for a new Windows98CD .You can expect MANY QUESTIONS when we get that CD!!!!*g*

rejoicing1

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2005, 11:15:43 AM »
    cassia Patricio, you need to start a new topic for this & I suggest you explain a little more of what you are trying to do.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Good morning cassia. How do I do this.......just start a brand new thread? I am new to this forum.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2005, 12:05:11 PM »
    Rejoicing One:

No rush on the computer; your family comes first!    Thanks for the update on your sister.  I'll keep her in my prayers.

God bless,
    Doc

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #29 on: May 16, 2005, 02:57:15 PM »
      Rejoicing1, if you read back you will see the poster
      (cassia Patricio) asked a question completely out of context, this is called hijacking a thread.
      I only advised them to start their own thread so that better results are achieved for all.  :)