Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 1st time poster, Help re: Laptop error  (Read 2211 times)

Chip_Osteen

1st time poster, Help re: Laptop error
« on: April 15, 2009, 08:58:35 AM »
So I've had a HP laptop for a few years now, and have had no problems to speak of during this time.

I was on the computer last night after work, and about 20 minutes into reading the MB, my pc froze. I attempted to wait it out, but it didn't un-freeze. I then did a hard reboot.

Now my computer won't load Windows and I'm worried that I'll have to re-install it... which will cause me to lose all my school work, songs I've written, and the book I'm working on. The school I can re-do, and the music I have memorized. The book though, the book is my aspired career. :(

The message I receive on my laptop is as follows:

Windows Boot Manager

Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.

This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external USB drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or CD-ROM drive that is failing. Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your computer.

If you continue to receive this error message, contact the hardware manufacturer.

File: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Info: An unexpected I/o error has occurred.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: 1st time poster, Help re: Laptop error
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 09:12:10 AM »
Since data recovery should be the first priority grab one of these:

2.5" Laptop to IDE cable (available at any PC shop)

This will enable you to hook up the laptop drive in any working Desktop machine and copy/burn your data...

Then to attempt a fix on the laptop insert your XP CD and power up...it should boot to the CD.
In the first option window press R to load the Recovery Console...it takes a bit to load...
Once at the command prompt type fixboot and hit Enter.
Remove the CD and re-boot.

If this does not do it repeat the above procedure except this time at the command prompt type fixmbr and hit Enter.
Again remove the CD and re-boot.

Best of Luck.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "