Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wierd Cd/Dvd connecting issue  (Read 4757 times)

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

Wierd Cd/Dvd connecting issue
    « on: April 22, 2009, 05:48:38 AM »
    okay I wanted to install the dvd drive I got for my mom which had been in another machine for a while.  I took it out an did the regular setup and it wouldnt boot checked my jumpers and such.  In all I got it working and it boots but the icons dont show up in windows 2000.  If I disconnect the one I am sure it will show but I want the system to have daul drives.  I will post later when I have more time about this if needed.
    Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Wierd Cd/Dvd connecting issue
    « Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 07:30:58 AM »
    You need to create desktop icons for optical drives in Win2k....right clik the drive/create Shortcut.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 07:44:56 AM »
      Sorry there ide but they should just be there.  I can disconnect the one and the other would appear.
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 10:03:28 AM »
      IDE doesn't matter...the only place drive letters and icons will appear in Win2K are Explorer and Disk Management.
      The desktop ones need to be created.
      If you're disconnecting and re-connecting them the shortcuts will break each time.
      Windows isn't driving you bonkers...you're driving Windows bonkers...

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 10:20:02 AM »
        What?  I dont think so I suppose its the cable its not one of the newer ones its an old sytle ide it can go ether way and that it has no insertion mark on it.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 12:50:47 PM »
          i can explain better knvow when I had them connected it would turn the power off to one the drives wont spin and the floppy light would come on.  If I removed the cable everything worked.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 04:58:48 PM »
            stupid thing dont work know.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            • Certifications: List
            • Computer: Specs
            • Experience: Expert
            « Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 05:12:57 PM »
            The cable may be damaged.
            - OR -
            Set one CD-Drive to MA (master) and the other to SL (Slave).
            Do not try CS (Cable Select) if it is an old 40 wire flat ribbon cable.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 05:27:12 PM »
              That it is and I have done both

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
              • Geek After Dark
                • Gekk9pm bnlog
              « Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 05:49:41 PM »
              Either one of the CD-Drives is going bad or the power supply can not handle both.  It can go either way. Try to reduce the load on the PSU. Or put one drive on an external PSU.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 06:52:35 PM »
                Thats what I had done and no one is going bad.  I got the stupid thing working again.

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                « Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 07:01:03 PM »
                You need to start learning when to give up on failing equipment...

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 07:02:58 PM »
                  Its not failing its being a pain

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                  • Geek After Dark
                    • Gekk9pm bnlog
                  « Reply #13 on: April 22, 2009, 07:14:14 PM »
                  Here are some things that go wrong. We already mentioned power supply.
                  When a Drive is failing it can casue another drive on the same cable to fail. Windows may see the wrong drive. The failing drive may be the one the sows in Windows.

When a cable is failing almost anything may happen. One drive works, the other doesn't or both do not work.
                  If either drive has the cable inverted, you might damage the drive, the cable and the mother board. And of course, it does not work.
                  Simple rule for those that need it.: "Red goes with red."  Meaning the red stripe on the data cable is near the red wire on the power connector.
                  And never plug / unplug anything with power on. (USB is exception.) Not just to spare the machine, you can hurt yourself very badly with a 700 watt power supply.
                  Is it all right if I ask why you need to CD-ROM drives?

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2009, 07:19:24 PM »
                    If that was true i would be.  Its a 450 watt and that one is a dvd and the other is a cd.  That there isnt enough power which is probably why.