Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Alleviate my Humiliation vide "Command Prompt"!  (Read 2519 times)

Saurabhdua

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Experience: Beginner
    Alleviate my Humiliation vide "Command Prompt"!
    « on: April 29, 2009, 12:43:19 AM »
    Hi Guys!

Some Rude people at other Forum made a FUN of me since:

1) I didn't know on how to OPEN "Command Prompt" Window without using "Start Menu". Probably they made a HINT about some "Key Combination". What's that?

2) I couldn't COPY the contents of the Command prompt Screen to PASTE at that Forum. Screen-shot attached clearly depicts ABSENCE of File Menu. Then how come I go to Edit>>Copy? Moreover, things do not get selected & copied from "Black Window"....?

Please help alleviate this disgust!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
    Re: Alleviate my Humiliation vide "Command Prompt"!
    « Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 03:28:14 AM »
    1.) Winkey+R to open the Run dialog box, type Cmd then click OK or press Enter.

Or:-

Create a desktop shortcut, make the Target

%comspec% /t:1f/e:on/v:on/q/k cls & prompt $e$p$g

R.Click on the shortcut and select Properties -

Make the "Start in" C:\

Make the "Shortcut" Ctrl + Alt + C  (hold down the Ctrl+Alt+C keys)

Make the "Run" Maximised

Click the Options tab and in "Display options" bullet Full screen.

Cmd.exe can now be opened by either clicking on the shortcut or using your shortcut keys Ctrl+Alt+C

For explanation of Cmd.exe switches enter Cmd/? at the command prompt.

2.)  Whilst in the Command Prompt window press Ctrl+Print Scrn   -   the content of the CP window will be Copied to the Clipboard as plain text (the background will not be copied) and can then be Pasted.

Hope this helps alleviate.

Good luck.

Edit: Note that if you use Shift+Print Scrn a true copy of your CP screen may not be saved>

EG - this is the result from Ctrl+Print Scrn

C:\>dir aga
     Volume in drive C is MASTER_C
     Volume Serial Number is CCCC-CCCC

Directory of C:\

File Not Found

C:\>dir fred
     Volume in drive C is MASTER_C
     Volume Serial Number is CCCC-CCCC

Directory of C:\

File Not Found

C:\>cd /d %temp%

D:\Temp>dir jim
     Volume in drive D is MASTER_D
     Volume Serial Number is DDDD-DDDD

Directory of D:\Temp

File Not Found

This is from Shift+Print Scr:

C:\>dir aga                                                                      Volume in drive C is MASTER_C                                                   Volume Serial Number is CCCC-CCCC                                                                                                                               Directory of C:\                                                                                                                                               File Not Found                                                                                                                                                  C:\>dir fred                                                                     Volume in drive C is MASTER_C                                                   Volume Serial Number is CCCC-CCCC                                                                                                                               Directory of C:\                                                                                                                                               File Not Found                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             C:\>cd /d %temp%                                                                                                                                                D:\Temp>dir jim                                                                  Volume in drive D is MASTER_D                                                   Volume Serial Number is DDDD-DDDD                                                                                                                               Directory of D:\Temp                                                                                                                                           File Not Found

« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 03:47:44 AM by Dusty »
    One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

Saurabhdua

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 06:11:31 AM »
      Hi There!

For the 2nd Point. I tried the same, but then How I'll access the Clipboard? I tried Ctrl+Print Screen & made a Ctrl V at the Forum (Text Box), but it didn't paste anything?

Thanks for the prior info. of Win Key+R !

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
      « Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 01:02:47 PM »
      ←C:\>copy con %temp%txt.txt
      Saurabhdua - this is copied to the clipboard from the Command Prompt window using the Ctrl+Print Scr keys then pasted into this forum using Ctrl-V.  Perhaps when you paste to a forum you can see a slider to the right which has gone to the bottom of the scale?  If so, return it to the top and the pasted text might become
      visible.   

(Explanation:  When Print Scr is used it copies the entire screen to the clipboard.  If the screen is set to the default 25 lines and there are only two lines of data, the screen will contain 23 blank lines which are also be copied to the clipboard.  When the clipboard is pasted (Ctrl+V) into the forum the blank lines are also pasted and the cursor is positioned on the next line available.  So it might look as if nothing has been pasted because only the blank lines are showing on the forum posting page).
      « Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 04:46:02 PM by Dusty »
      One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.