Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PC w/o OS. Can I move harddrive to this and get my OS?  (Read 4657 times)

okiniku

Topic Starter

Starter

PC w/o OS. Can I move harddrive to this and get my OS?
    « on: May 06, 2009, 11:02:18 AM »
    I am buying a new pc w/o an OS on it, but it has had one installed and tested on the PC. Can I take the harddrives out from my current PC, and permanently put them in this new one, and have my new PC use this authentication of Windows?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: PC w/o OS. Can I move harddrive to this and get my OS?
    « Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 11:11:13 AM »
    Simple answer is NO.
    Long answer after a lot of yadda yadda will also en in NO.
    But the Long Answer has one catch. Here is part of it: IF the new PC is a clone of the old PC in every way, the windows installation may run on the new replacement computer.

Now do you really want the whole long answer?
    Maybe somebody else will give it to you!

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 11:13:03 AM »
      Attucally I think he should be able to.  Yes, its easy to say NO and the matter of it being is still no but partly yes too.  I assume its xp what will happen is it will ask for a reactivation but it wont have the right drivers.
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

okiniku

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 11:14:39 AM »
        Yes it is XP. Well I guess all i can do is try? Argh.

Dias de verano

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 11:16:25 AM »
        Yes, its easy to say NO

Because it is the mostly correct answer.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 11:17:00 AM »
          But not so much at the moment
          Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Dias de verano

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 11:18:05 AM »
          But not so much at the moment

Have you ever tried doing what he is asking about? I have.

fgdn17

Hopeful

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 12:39:26 PM »
            I am buying a new pc w/o an OS on it, but it has had one installed and tested on the PC. Can I take the harddrives out from my current PC, and permanently put them in this new one, and have my new PC use this authentication of Windows?

NO..NO..NO

it will NOT use this authentication of Windows...that authentication is for different hardware...

BUT...if you have an OEM copy of xp you can do a repair/install on the new machine...then
            activate it and it should be fine...IMO

Good Luck

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 12:46:56 PM »
              right but it should look for the diff and ask to reactivate.  Maybe cause its so differnt it mite not work.  Dias I am and thats what I was told.  IBID.

fgdn17

Hopeful

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 12:55:16 PM »
                right but it should look for the diff and ask to reactivate.  Maybe cause its so differnt it mite not work.  Dias I am and thats what I was told.  IBID.

if the hardware is different, the disk most likely WILL NOT BOOT...therefore you do
                a repair/install to pickup the new hardware...IMO

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 01:03:53 PM »
                  you come here and do my OS class then.

fgdn17

Hopeful

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 01:58:41 PM »
                    ok...give everyone in the class an activated xp disk from an emachine system....

have them take it to a dell machine and install it....

let me know when it is working...without going through the steps I mentioned...

(insert your favorite brand of different computers for source/destination systems)

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 02:02:08 PM »
                      that should work.  Eventually they see that its running the same activation and turn them off.

fgdn17

Hopeful

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 02:06:57 PM »
                        think you just failed the class...LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 02:07:43 PM »
                          how did I?  I did exatly as is.  Unless we used other active codes.