Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Which Anti-virus do you use ?  (Read 13311 times)

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Which Anti-virus do you use ?
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2009, 11:19:34 AM »
you want quick protection method in addition to all the spyware/virus/malware programs you got running on your pc?

Check this out .... one click system restore point maker....

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2009/04/single-click-restore-point-makes-restore-point-creation-a-snap/

It appears to be just a quicker way to set a System Restore Point.
If so, personally I would create it the old fashion (and reliable) way by going to Start --> All Programs --> Accessories --> System Tools --> System Restore.

x2543

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2009, 01:51:59 PM »
It appears to be just a quicker way to set a System Restore Point.
If so, personally I would create it the old fashion (and reliable) way by going to Start --> All Programs --> Accessories --> System Tools --> System Restore.

If you're forgetting to do it, then you have a shortcut right to the desktop. Just trying to make life easier  :)

whansen02

Greenhorn
    « Reply #17 on: May 11, 2009, 03:25:11 PM »
    Also seems to scan much quicker than the others.

Give Nod32 a try.  Fast scanning, lightweight (low memory footprint), advanced heuristic scanning (better at detecting new viruses before they're defined) and affordable.
    ccna certification training kits

x2543

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2009, 05:22:40 PM »
    Give Nod32 a try.  Fast scanning, lightweight (low memory footprint), advanced heuristic scanning (better at detecting new viruses before they're defined) and affordable.

there are FREE alternatives that do just as well. If you have one that's updating at least once a day, and you have a decent firewall on and a malware scanner that can be updated, I'm pretty sure you just have to be careful to reduce virus and crap coming to your pc.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #19 on: May 11, 2009, 05:53:01 PM »
    A Restore Point will help zilch against some of the newer infections...they will simply re-create themselves.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #20 on: May 12, 2009, 01:29:13 PM »
    I tried NOD32.  I was very impressed with v2.7, but v3 seems much heavier.
    I also tried the security suite, but it actually destroyed my network connection, I had to reformat.

Helpmeh

Guru

• Roar.
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #21 on: May 12, 2009, 06:49:47 PM »
    CA Antivirus Security Suite, out of the 3 AV programs I've used, AVG, Norton and CA, it's definatly the best.
    Where's MagicSpeed?
    Quote from: 'matt'
    He's playing a game called IRL. Great graphics, *censored* gameplay.

x2543

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2009, 06:54:20 PM »
    CA Antivirus Security Suite, out of the 3 AV programs I've used, AVG, Norton and CA, it's definatly the best.

AVAST is still one of the best if you mean free. CA's all fine if you want a paid complete featured internet suite

Helpmeh

Guru

• Roar.
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #23 on: May 12, 2009, 06:58:43 PM »
    AVAST is still one of the best if you mean free. CA's all fine if you want a paid complete featured internet suite
    Yeah, well technically I didn't pay for it...I got 3 free keys with my mom's laptop.
    Where's MagicSpeed?

x2543

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2009, 07:06:41 PM »
    Yeah, well technically I didn't pay for it...I got 3 free keys with my mom's laptop.

Sure, that's all good too  :D I meant free for life, non subscription but if you can get a decent paid antivirus for free, then that's good too  ;D I have heard more complaints about Norton than I do for CA.

Helpmeh

Guru

• Roar.
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #25 on: May 12, 2009, 07:09:33 PM »
    Sure, that's all good too  :D I meant free for life, non subscription but if you can get a decent paid antivirus for free, then that's good too  ;D I have heard more complaints about Norton than I do for CA.
    That's because CA isn't extremely well know...if you say Norton, and nothing else, then they will probably say "The antivirus?", but if you say CA, they will most likely say something like "What?" or "QUOI?!"
    Where's MagicSpeed?

x2543

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2009, 09:04:51 PM »
    Maybe CA wants people to test out their obscure software and be bothered with all the problems or potential problems coming with it so they gave away their keys LOL  ;D

Because a software isn't well known, then more likely to me, they're not getting main stream help with bug catching and and last I was told, CA wasn't going for mainstream users, even though home users can use it.

I'd rather not have obscurity playing against me if I could help it.

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    « Reply #27 on: May 12, 2009, 10:10:16 PM »
    I use Kaspersky Internet Security.

I've tried AVG, Avast, Comodo Internet Security, and Avira. Still like Kaspersky best.
    « Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 02:31:05 AM by quaxo »

x2543

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2009, 11:40:32 PM »
    I use Kaspersky Internet Security.

I've tried AVG, Avast, Komodo Internet Security, and Avira. Still like Kaspersky best.

but kaspersky ain't free  ;D

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    « Reply #29 on: May 13, 2009, 02:33:52 AM »
    Yeah, but I'm alright with that. None of the free ones can compare. And among pay versions, it's one of the most comprehensive, yet lightweight ones. So pleased with it, it's now on all of my computers and I recommend it to anyone willing to pay. It's definitely worth the price.