Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: System Restore + Funny Microsoft Window problem  (Read 2872 times)

EyeInSky

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

System Restore + Funny Microsoft Window problem
    « on: May 09, 2009, 10:30:08 PM »
    Hello,

I was referred to upgrade my situation to this forum.  I have a couple main problems with my computer:

1)  System Restore no longer works in normal boot mode.  I can access the system restore points, but when I try to revert to them it never fully completes the process.  I have a sneaky feeling that my recent upgrade to Zone Alarm 8.0.xxx may be the issue (I do not remember which version I was running before).

Assuming it is possible to temporarily deactivate Zone Alarm to run this test, I wonder if there is a way to download a previous version of Zone Alarm that is compatible with System Restore.

Please note that I *CAN* successfully run System Restore while booting in Safe Mode.  Depending on what the answer to this problem is, I guess I would need to decide which is the lesser of the 2 evils (keep recent version of zone alarm & restore in safe mode vs. downgrade to earlier version of zone alarm).  I'm not even certain if Zone Alarm is the true culprit.

2)  Another funny thing is happening.  Every time I boot into Windows XP I see a microsoft folder that appears on the desktop.  I believe there is some startup process that may be causing it.  I always see this folder after some of the tray icons appear.  For example, it will load zone alarm, then AVG, then LightScribe, etc... and within 30 seconds after LightScribe I suddenly see this microsoft window out of nowhere.  The directory is empty.  I think it is from what of the other startup events NOT relating to the stuff in the tray.

This is a fairly recent problem that started happening for about 7-8 days.  I also find that some functions take a VERY LONG time (can be something as simple as launching windows explorer (not IE).  Even Opt/Win+E can often take a long time for a window to load.  Most of the other functions on the computer are almost normal speed.  Internet access speed is either normal or slowed (not consistent).

*** The requested 6 steps are done ***

I followed Step #1 through Step #6.  I believe I have the current version of Java (Ver.6,Update13).  I am also attaching the 3 most recent logs.  Upon restarting the microsoft window STILL appears at boot up.  I have not tried the System Restore again yet.

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

[attachment deleted by admin]

harry 48

Egghead

• lay back , relax and chill out
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Dribbling Pensioner
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: System Restore + Funny Microsoft Window problem
    « Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 11:54:34 AM »
    you should only have 1 anti-virus on your pc 2 will give you problems

if you take out avg go here , http://www.avg.com/download-tools

read this
    http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/process.pl?p=lightscribecontrolpanel.exe
    « Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 12:15:45 PM by harry 48 »

EyeInSky

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 08:54:52 AM »
      Hello again.

I only have one antivirus program running (AVG).  I have the free version of Zone Alarm, and it is strictly being used as just a firewall.

Thanks for trying to help, but the lightscribe tray icon isn't the problem.  The lightscribe loads fine.  There is something that is being loaded apx. 20-30 seconds AFTER lightscribe tray icon that I believe is causing the "microsoft" directory to suddenly appear on my desktop.

Any ideas?
      Thank you.

harry 48

Egghead

• lay back , relax and chill out
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Dribbling Pensioner
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 03:03:19 PM »
      i dont think you have a virus etc and you should put a new post in the microsoft forum and leave this one open harry