Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Will it hurt?  (Read 2399 times)

lediskolove99

Topic Starter

Will it hurt?
    « on: May 10, 2009, 02:06:12 AM »
    Until I can get a new computer desk the only way I can hook everything up is to keep my computer on the floor, which is carpet. Now this may be a stupid question, but oh well. Someone told me that it's bad to do that  she that it will cause the computer to become overheated and shut down. Now I'm not sure if I believe this because the vents aren't on the bottom right? So what is it hurting?

But I didn't want to be wrong and risk it. Currently I have it on a monopoly game box (Only thing big enough I could think of)

But is it really going to hurt it?

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Will it hurt?
    « Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 02:09:08 AM »
    The thing with carpets is that they don't transfer heat very well, so the heat is trapped in the computer.

It shouldn't be a problem. In fact, you can post your temperatures here if you would like:
    http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,83105.0.html

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 02:53:45 AM »
    The problem with keeping the computer on a carpet is mainly dust.
    The heat doesn't have to transfer through the carpet, and if the vents are not on the bottom the carpet won't block airflow.
    Keep it clean and dust regularly, it's not a problem.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 08:30:30 AM »
    Find something sturdy enough to elevate it 4 to 6 inches...preferably of wood.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

x2543

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 12:08:36 AM »
    I have a desktop PC, I have the tower sitting on the carpet in my room next to my desk and it's never had a problem. Just don't block any of the vent holes coming out of the back and the side, if you have side holes and if you're worried about carpet, just get some stack of newspapers or old magazines and stick it under the tower making sure you still don't block any vent holes or whatnot.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 04:17:07 AM »
      If your that worried stick a box fan next to it.
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
        • Yes
        • Technology News and Information
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 10:42:52 AM »
      I think you will find that box fans are not as effective as just having a good amount of internal fans on high-heat generating components and two exhaust fans..
      Many people keep computers on carpet. As long as you clean your computer out yearly (see http://www.computerhope.com/cleaning.htm for cleaning) and you are sure you have adequate cooling, you should be fine.
      The link Carbon posted with a temperature monitoring program will do you good as well to make sure components are not overheating.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 12:00:08 PM »
        I was told that it done okay.  No it wont replace that but still something else to try.
        Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Cityscape

Adviser

• Running Debian 8, Linux Mint and Windows 10.
          • Yes
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 12:14:26 PM »
        No, just keep the side and rear air vents clear.