Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Take-Two Suit Means 'Duke Nukem' Might Live  (Read 4710 times)

quaxo

Topic Starter

Guru
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Take-Two Suit Means 'Duke Nukem' Might Live
« on: May 19, 2009, 10:35:40 AM »
http://tech.yahoo.com/news/zd/20090518/tc_zd/240434
The development of the game "Duke Nukem Forever" has taken over a decade. Based on a lawsuit filed Friday by Take-Two Interactive, it might continue.

On Friday, publisher Take-Two Interactive Software sued 3DRealms (doing business as Apogee Software) after 3DRealms closed its doors a week earlier.

For fans of the game, however, there's still hope: 3DRealms has been ordered to appear before a New York State Supreme Court judge on June 11 to argue why the judge should not order 3DRealms to turn over the Duke Nukem Forever source code to Take-Two, as the company has apparently asked the judge to do. The proposed order was part of the Take-Two suit.

The sequel to Duke Nukem 3D, a DOOM contemporary, was originally due on or around 1998. Since then, it has undergone multiple revisions and alleged revisions in its 3D engine, all contributing to delay after delay. In 2006, industry reports claimed that a large chunk of its staff left the company, causing the development team to begin again.

The order also implies that the judge might order 3DRealms to be "enjoined from disclosing, distributing, transferring or selling to any party other than Take-Two any proprietary information related to DNF (including the existing source and object code for DNF) and be required to maintain and enforce all security measures necessary to preserve the confidentiality of such proprietary information".

Unfortunately, a video of the several DNF art elements, including gameplay, some risque 3D imagery and salty language, was leaked to the Web soon after the 3DRealms team shut down.

The video they're referring to is located here:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/316675.html

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Take-Two Suit Means 'Duke Nukem' Might Live
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 11:46:44 AM »
I forgot all about that.  Oughta call it "Duke Nukem Takes Forever" and call it a day...   ::)

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

quaxo

Topic Starter

Guru
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 03:28:36 AM »
I forgot all about that.  Oughta call it "Duke Nukem Takes Forever" and call it a day...   ::)
hahahaha

Yeah, I had completely forgotten about it as well. I remember the announcement way back when then just thought I missed the release or something because we don't get some games here in Thailand. Never bothered to look it up, then I saw this in the news yesterday. You're right though, fitting title seeing as it's been 11 years.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 03:38:33 AM »
early on, the problem they had was they couldn't seem to decide on an engine. one month they're using the unreal engine- the next their using the quake II engine. It was almost as if one person went up to the project lead and said, "hey, this engine is really cool, I think we should rewrite all the code we've written for our current equally proficient engine to use this other one for a negative net gain because we'll need to license it and pay for another 500 man hours on top of those already used creating the code I propose to replace.". Later on, it was basically:

"well, the person that wrote that is gone, and even though his comments clearly state the expected inputs and outputs, I think it would be on the safe side if we re-wrote it completely. I always found him to be a bit shifty, never know what might be left in here."

"Sir... it's a Swap() routine..."

"All the more reason! now get to rewriting it! While your at it, make it so we use the Source engine, chop chop. shouldn't be too hard, we're almost done."
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Computer Hope Admin

• Administrator

• Prodigy

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Computer Hope
  • Certifications: List
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 05:09:06 AM »
I don't think talk about this game is ever going to end, even after ten years. You'd think after the first five+ years that everyone would catch on that it's never going to happen. Although thanks for sharing that video, did miss that and it was fairly entertaining.
Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.
-Albert Einstein

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 07:47:22 AM »
early on, the problem they had was they couldn't seem to decide on an engine. one month they're using the unreal engine- the next their using the quake II engine. It was almost as if one person went up to the project lead and said, "hey, this engine is really cool, I think we should rewrite all the code we've written for our current equally proficient engine to use this other one for a negative net gain because we'll need to license it and pay for another 500 man hours on top of those already used creating the code I propose to replace.". Later on, it was basically:

"well, the person that wrote that is gone, and even though his comments clearly state the expected inputs and outputs, I think it would be on the safe side if we re-wrote it completely. I always found him to be a bit shifty, never know what might be left in here."

"Sir... it's a Swap() routine..."

"All the more reason! now get to rewriting it! While your at it, make it so we use the Source engine, chop chop. shouldn't be too hard, we're almost done."

This is actually pretty accurate
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "