Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: issues playing both WOW and second life PLEASE HELP  (Read 3558 times)

penguinfish

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
    issues playing both WOW and second life PLEASE HELP
    « on: May 22, 2009, 01:33:06 AM »
     :'(
    now i have no clue why but I've tried playing both of these programs, talked to both wow and second life for a lil while, something is going on connecting.... b/c in wow the news feed doesn't even show up says something about "cannot connect to news server"
    and second life I am interested in trying, but same thing, it wont connect, "unable to connect, despite out best efforts, something unexpected has gone wrong"
    now i know a lil about computers, but sadly I have tried using antispyware stuff, antivirus, hijackthis, all kinds of methods, even deleted a lot of stuff off my hard drive, yet cant figure out why I cannot connect, I even did something i probly shouldn't have and turned off all my firewalls just to see if they were what was blocking the programs, sad to say that didn't help either, If anyone has any ideas on how to help It would be MUCH appreciated, b/c right now i kinda want to beat up my computer :'(

thanks very much for your time

rssc

Rookie

Re: issues playing both WOW and second life PLEASE HELP
      « Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 01:58:49 AM »
      Have you ever been able to play WoW or Second Life?
      Is it just the news feed within WoW your having the problem with?

penguinfish

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
        « Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 10:36:43 AM »
        never tried before recently, but you cant log into wow and download the patches i tried forcing the patches download, but it still wont load, it has issues connecting to both wow and secondlife servers :( I im not sure what to do, ive uninstalled alot of useless programs, and defragged harddrive, but only thing i know of is to reformat harddrive but sadly i cant find my windows xp disk, so i dunno what else to try ... any suggestions?

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 01:05:32 PM »
        How about some info on this machine and whether the specs are up to the game requirements ? ?
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

quaxo

Guru
          • Yes
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 01:32:35 AM »
        How about some info on this machine and whether the specs are up to the game requirements ? ?

What computer isn't up to WoW's requirements? I've gotten it playable on an EeePC 701 4G (900Mhz Celeron, 512MB RAM, Intel 910/915 video chipset). On minimal settings, WoW will run on anything. Besides, the patching process for Warcraft doesn't require the game to actually be running, it's all done from the WoW launcher now, before you ever get into the game.

What would be helpful to know is:
        What type of internet connection do you have?
        Where are you located? (World-wise, not 'in my mom's basement'-wise) lol
        Do you have any issues browsing the internet normally in your web browser?
        What firewall are you using, if any?

Go here: http://www.speedtest.net/
        Run a speed test at the location nearest you geographically. Post the result of the upload and download speeds, as well as your latency (ping).

penguinfish

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
          « Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 12:55:20 PM »
          Well my brother said my computer is more than the minimum requirements-he helped me build it but doesn't have the time these days to help me fix it.  I have cable internet and have no problem playing online on my x360 or ps3 so I know its not my speed of internet that's the problem only firewalls i have are basic ones, nothing special, like windows and the cable internet provider's firewall, but like i said I've turned both off to see if that was in fact the problem yet it still didn't work.  WOW just leaves me at the news screen and wont allow me to log in, i have been told if it wont let you connect to the news feed it's not letting you into the WOW server, so how can i fix my problem of not being able to get into the server?  I have tried turning on my wireless and using that instead of the router I have, maybe its my router/modem that's the problem? Its is both router and modem, could that maybe be messing it up?

penguinfish

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
            « Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 01:06:35 PM »

penguinfish

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
              « Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 02:12:58 PM »
              also another thing I think is my problem is my router/modem it is a Motorola SBG 900

quaxo

Guru
                • Yes
              « Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 08:21:36 PM »
              i have been told if it wont let you connect to the news feed it's not letting you into the WOW server

Actually, that's not true. The news and the actual game come from two different servers. While not being able to log into the game and not seeing the news might indicate a connection problem with your internet, the two aren't directly related. Quite often I'm unable to get to the news server but can log into the game without a problem and vice versa.

If possible, try your computer on a different internet connection (at a friend's house or something) or with a different router/modem. That way we can rule that out as well.

Hard to say though. The speed of your connection seems fine (if you're paying for a 5Mb download/512Kb upload). Your ping seems alright as well, 50ms isn't bad.

Have you also had a look through Blizzard's connection FAQ? I realize that it's not just WoW you're having issues with, but one of their suggestions might solve both of your problems.
              http://us.blizzard.com/support/index.xml?locale=en_US&gameId=11&rootCategoryId=2316
              « Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 10:18:36 PM by quaxo »

penguinfish

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
                « Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 10:08:09 PM »
                ok if i look at my program files in the wow folder there is an .exe file called "wowerror.exe" and in secondlife folder i have a file called "win_crash_logger.exe" both seem to be titled fairly odd, so i dunno if that could be an issue ive tried searching on google and didnt find much on either, but java cannot connect to download a newer version bc of my internet settings... so im not sure if thats it either?

quaxo

Guru
                  • Yes
                « Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 10:17:10 PM »
                Both are normal parts of their respective programs. They attempt to log errors when either program crashes.

Java can't connect to download a newer version of what and for what?

And what internet settings are you referring to?

Don't exclude anything, even if it seems like it might have nothing to do with it. Sometimes you never know.

penguinfish

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
                  « Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 10:35:59 PM »
                  ok well i have java on my computer and in the task bar it has been telling me to update it so i finally decided to try to, but sadly it said couldn't connect due to your internet connection settings. :-\

I tried the port forwarding thing before like the blizzard site told me to try, we did it awhile back when we first tried setting up WOW, but i wasn't sure so i tried checking to see if it was successfully forwarded so i downloaded the lil program on the port forwarding website http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Motorola/SBG900/World_of_Warcraft.htm and well now it is saying "cannot test port because some other application has that port locked. Please close any applications that may be using this port and try again."

so I'm, not sure what exactly that means? and i dunno what internet setting that is what the programs keep telling me, but I've manually gone in and added all the programs that im trying to log into like wow and all the blizzard updaters and second life, so since everything seems to have an issue with my connection settings im thinking something is messed up somewhere, I've tried talked to blizzard but i got no where there :(

Idiosyncrasy

Rookie