Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cookies Questions  (Read 4210 times)

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
  • Experience: Familiar
Cookies Questions
« on: May 23, 2009, 01:35:47 AM »
Sorry if this isn't the correct place to ask more about Cookies. I'm trying to understand them better. My brother-in-law who knows alot about computers has been trying to help me and my mom with our computer problems we keep having from viruses, spyware, all that stuff. Anyways, he put stuff like Ccleaner, Malwarebytes, stuff like that on and the things I never understand about any of these programs or the browsers when we click on clear cookies, history, cache, stuff like that. I don't know if I understand Cookies. It seems when we clear them, I always run into problems logging back into sites and sometimes tells me my password is wrong too.
The other thing I don't understand is I thought Cookies has to do with the Internet, but some things that the program lists as cookies are files that I created using things like Microsoft Excel, Powerpoint, Word, all those stuff Ccleaner has listed as Cookies. So, that is very confusing to me.

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Cookies Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 04:09:08 AM »
A cookie is a small text file which is sent from a website and is stored on your computer. It saves you username and password and other login data, so that is why you're having problems logging back in when you clear all cookies.

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 02:19:03 PM »
That is what is very confusing, because it also seems to be listing files that I created using Microsoft Word, Excel, stuff like that is also listed as cookies. Also, my brother-in-law keeps saying I should still be able to log back into the sites again, but is he wrong about that? Because I've had problems with the site telling me my password is wrong.
Then my other question would be why in the world do they have these programs like Ccleaner that cleans out the cookies if you are going to have problems when you do that?

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 03:20:18 PM »
it also seems to be listing files that I created using Microsoft Word, Excel, stuff like that is also listed as cookies

How do you know this?

saying I should still be able to log back into the sites again, but is he wrong about that

No he is not wrong - you should still be able to log in. Are you 100% sure you have the correct passwords?

why in the world do they have these programs like Ccleaner that cleans out the cookies if you are going to have problems when you do that?

Mainly to free up space. Some people have 1000s of cookies which are just sitting there on the computer, never being used. But, what's happening you shoudn't really be happening, as far as I can see.

2x3i5x

Expert
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 06:08:06 PM »
in general, cookies are stored text files with username, password and or user preferences for websites that use those. If cookies are stored, websites can automatically access those information so that you do not need to log in or reset settings every single time, if those things don't change.

It does not change anything, it just automates things on websites like log ins for say.

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 06:39:01 PM »
How do you know this?
Because it shows the files in the list of files
No he is not wrong - you should still be able to log in. Are you 100% sure you have the correct passwords?
Yes, because I have all my usernames and passwords written down right when I register for the websites.
My mom was wondering, could it be the spyware and viruses causing the password problem?

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 05:22:16 AM »
could it be the spyware and viruses causing the password problem?

It could be.....Did you have your computer checked here for malware?

Because it shows the files in the list of files

What list of files?

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 01:30:00 PM »
It could be.....Did you have your computer checked here for malware?
No but my brother-in-law ran a bunch of different programs on the computer- Malwarebytes, ATF Cleaner, Spybot Search & Destroy, Ad-aware SE Personal, Ccleaner, Spywareblaster, CCleaner, all the stuff.
I did put a HijackThis log, but my brother-in-law said not to have it fix anything though because it will cause you a worse problems with computer. He had a problems with it erasing everything on his desktop and so many other things and said he knows someone else it happened to also. But said it's ok to have HiJackthis on the computer though, just said not to have it actually fix anything.
What list of files?
In the list of files on Ccleaner. It shows a list of all the stuff it will be removing. Right under the section where it says Cookies- it has the files in the list and those files I created using Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint are all in the list. It also seems to have stuff like Facebook and other things I use. So, trying to understand how all these different programs that I mentioned my brother-in-law ran work, and I also keep trying to figure out where in like Ccleaner is the list of stuff it removed in case you accidently removed something important?

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 01:46:29 PM »
No but my brother-in-law ran a bunch of different programs on the computer- Malwarebytes, ATF Cleaner, Spybot Search & Destroy, Ad-aware SE Personal, Ccleaner, Spywareblaster, CCleaner, all the stuff.

Well, as I've said before, read this. Then start a new topic here , and post the three logs. It is the best way to make sure your computer is clean.

In the list of files on Ccleaner. It shows a list of all the stuff it will be removing. Right under the section where it says Cookies- it has the files in the list and those files I created using Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint are all in the list. It also seems to have stuff like Facebook and other things I use.

Can you post a screenshot?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 01:54:26 PM »
Coulda sworn i posted here but that list of files is probably MRU's...Most Recently Used.
It's an index Windows uses and deleting them does not remove the actual files...just the History of them being used...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2009, 01:57:19 PM »
Well, as I've said before, read this. Then start a new topic here , and post the three logs. It is the best way to make sure your computer is clean.
My brother-in-law who knows alot on computers is trying to help with the stuff needed. The only thing is he said is it is ok to have HijackThis on the computer, but not to have it actually fix anything due to problems he and others he knows have had with it messing everything up, but is ok to have so you can easily have a log for any sites out there. He hasn't had a chance to look at the Combofix though.
Can you post a screenshot?
Sorry, but I have no idea how to do that.

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2009, 02:00:41 PM »
Sorry, but I have no idea how to do that.

That's no problem at all.

Here is how to do it: http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,61232.0.html
Please ask if you don't understand something. :)