Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Why would my IE Slow But Chrome is Fast...VIRUS maybe.....  (Read 13759 times)

JHenderson

Topic Starter

Beginner
    I have noticed recently when trying to get on IE that it takes forever to pull up my msn.com homepage. My Computer is up to date, I have secunia loaded. I run AVG Free and did a scan plus Malwarebytes. Nothing. Seems like the processes in Task Manager have been incresed by number a little too. What to do........ My specv on my computer should be posted next to my login info but will type them out if need be. Evil has always helped in the past but I am not sure its a virus. Is there a program to check my processes running to see if I have and eating up my CPU and slowing down IE? Sorry for all the questions  :-[

harry 48

Egghead

• lay back , relax and chill out
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Dribbling Pensioner
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Why would my IE Slow But Chrome is Fast...VIRUS maybe.....
    « Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 03:30:15 PM »
    http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html

go to above and post the 3 logs here an expert will see them

JHenderson

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 10:41:44 AM »
      Its taken more than 24 hours to run a SUPERanti scan. I am still waiting for it to be done. I have already ran CC. Ii has never taken this long. I look under task manager and SUPERanti is taking up most of my CPU usage. I will post my HJT logs too. Hopefully this scan hurries up.

2x3i5x

Expert
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 10:51:57 AM »
      have you tried resetting internet explorer? I think it's probably a software issue but I don't know ...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

JHenderson

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 11:17:44 AM »
        I just reset my IE. We will see. It not just that but EVRYTHING is running slower than normal. I dunno. Something is definitely up. Maybe not a virus. Might be something with the OS.

harry 48

Egghead

• lay back , relax and chill out
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Dribbling Pensioner
        • Certifications: List
        « Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 01:52:23 PM »
        do the reset i have used it 3/4 times and will do no harm

2x3i5x

Expert
        « Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 01:58:52 PM »
        do the reset i have used it 3/4 times and will do no harm

except you might want to save your favorites / bookmarks. Supposedly it don't get lost when you do the reset but it has happened to me once but it wasn't a big deal, but if you have a big list of favorited sites, you probably don't want that to go lost  ;D.

JHenderson

Topic Starter

Beginner
          « Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 04:18:13 PM »
          Yeah I saved the Favorites. That would SUCK! My list is so long. Probably need to make some folders and organize a little. Still waiting for SUPER scan to finish. I swear something is eating up my CPU. I looked under prcess manager as admin and didn't see anything noticeable but what do I know  ;D

2x3i5x

Expert
          « Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 04:23:10 PM »
          Yeah I saved the Favorites. That would SUCK! My list is so long. Probably need to make some folders and organize a little. Still waiting for SUPER scan to finish. I swear something is eating up my CPU. I looked under prcess manager as admin and didn't see anything noticeable but what do I know  ;D

Maybe scanning in safe mode would make it go faster than it would or has been in normal mode ...  after all, in safe mode, you got only the bare minimum windows running so there with everything else disabled until you reboot into normal mode  :)

JHenderson

Topic Starter

Beginner
            « Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 04:30:08 PM »
            I should have. I have over a million files to scan on my computer. Thats the problem. I UPGRADED like an idiot from XP home. I don't know how to clean it all up though. I have no idea which folders are old and which are new; or which files are needed.

2x3i5x

Expert
            « Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 04:37:17 PM »
            I should have. I have over a million files to scan on my computer. Thats the problem. I UPGRADED like an idiot from XP home. I don't know how to clean it all up though. I have no idea which folders are old and which are new; or which files are needed.

Vista is not that bad, I use it and I like it but now what do you have on your pc that you definitely do not want to delete? Your music, some documents and other media files if you go those? Saying your an idiot makes me feel a little odd 'cuz I used to have windows xp home on my pc but have not converted it into a vista machine and is currently not encountering problems that would desperately make me want to revert back to windows xp.

JHenderson

Topic Starter

Beginner
              « Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 04:39:16 PM »
              I should have done a clean install instead of an upgrade. Thats what I meant by me being an idiot. I keep all my media on externals. I don't know where all the extra files are from.

2x3i5x

Expert
              « Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 04:44:11 PM »
              I should have done a clean install instead of an upgrade. Thats what I meant by me being an idiot. I keep all my media on externals. I don't know where all the extra files are from.

and yeah if you got the regular vista upgrade cd (the ones that didn't come with sp1 or sp2 already preinstalled with the windows), you could've done a clean install. That was a M$ loophole. Extra files from where? What's the names of those files or what do they look like?

JHenderson

Topic Starter

Beginner
                « Reply #13 on: June 01, 2009, 08:25:05 PM »
                I will have to look around, but seriously, is there directory that windows puts aside after the the vista upgrade that I can delete. Is there a way for someone to take a look at my directories and say "hey delete that". I am still waiting for the SUPER scan to get through. Its been almost 2 days since it's started. I have 4 computers where I live THANK GOD. otherwise I would be stuck completely.

2x3i5x

Expert
                « Reply #14 on: June 01, 2009, 09:03:39 PM »
                use the disk cleaner and see what it finds. That's what I would do to clean out the computer. Just search Disk Cleanup using the start menu search bar and it should come up.

See what each option says and if you don't need it then you can check and delete it, also from here you can go to more options and have the cleaner clean out your system restore points if you use it so that you only have most recent on and that saves a lot of space on your hard drive.

I have done checked everything in there when I saw it was massive huge and it got rid of a lot of things, which were taking up space.