Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Not sure excatly why this keeps happening  (Read 27767 times)

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: Not sure excatly why this keeps happening
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2009, 12:02:52 PM »
Hi everyone,
Thank you so much for all the help you all are giving me. This helps clear some of the stuff up a bit.
Sure, here are some of the sites I have made. I actually have too many probably, but then as you can tell, I enjoy making sites for hobby though. Since I enjoy helping others out with anything and sharing pictures too, so far seems to be working. With all my sites I'll have a links page with just links to other sites.
With my disablilities, makes it hard for me to type and stuff for long, which is another big reason using all the things I've been using so far for making my sites seems to be working best. I also have noticed too in my guestbooks that so many out there do seem to like my sites alot. Anyways, here are some of my sites- my American Idol site- http://www.geocities.com/amymusicfan/ Which on that site- you will actually notice on the main page, there isn't a table there, but then if you go in the different seasons, you will see why I have table there for the layout for the columns I wanted to do.
Since I love movies alot, and I figure so many out there also enjoy movies, thought I'd create some- I've got more than 1 movie site. http://www.geocities.com/amylovesmovies/ http://www.geocities.com/moviefan756/
I have so many other sites too, but too many to list here.
Only other thing is Geocities is now going to be leaving, and I'm trying to figure out how to go about getting everything backed  properly.
One funny thing I noticed, I went to that validator site. I've never heard about it until a few months or so ago someone told me about that site. Which I'm trying to understand the errors too. But anyways, I typed in the url for one of my sites, and it came up with way less errors than the site I was working on for my sister and her husband,  which they now are paying someone who makes sites for a their job. Which the other thing I don't understand, it seems you have to use what the site gives you to use. The WYSIWYG editor thing on their site. Plus same as like our Bellsouth stuff which is our ISP and we have everything set up already.
See we login by opening our browser and going to the site and put in our name and password and it's got all the stuff there.

Thanks for the url for the Kompozer thing. It looks like this is just another browser? Is it not? Since I work on my pages using my mom's computer too, and she doesn't want me to put it on hers. Plus mine doesn't even have enough room for it. Ever since we switched from Earthlink Dialup to Bellsouth DSL, my computer the CPU usage keeps going up to 100% and locking up too. One of the things that makes it go to 100% is when I'm using sites like Webkinz and some of the games and stuff and I get a weird message about a movie playing in the background something from Adobe Flashplayer thing saying that. Also due to so much spyware and viruses, I haven't been using mine as much anymore, it's still sort of hooked up to the modem and router since it has to be for my mom's computer to get online, but not totally hooked up to internet. One of my brother-in-law's who knows alot on computers is currently trying to help out with the problems and as soon as he gets a chance do the Combofix log thing.
Last time he came over though, he installed so much things on both mine and mom's computer- Ccleaner, Malwarebytes, so many other stuff too.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2009, 04:28:02 AM »
KompoZer is a WYSIWYG editor for web pages, not a browser.  It will look similar to a browser but just with all the tools you need to edit pages before you upload them to a web server.

Some web services such as Geocities provide a service for you to "directly edit" pages hosted by them.  It's like a hosted web editor but gives you less direct control over the resulting page.  This is demonstrated by the fact that the source of the Geocities pages reveals certain things (javascript and images) added by Geocities, which you cannot remove.

As you say, this is the "hobbyist" end of web design.  For commercial web design, the process is more like this:

• design graphics (e.g. using Macromedia Fireworks/Adobe Photoshop) and web pages (e.g. using Dreamweaver/Eclipse/KompoZer) on local computer
  • transfer (usually by FTP) HTML/PHP pages, images, external CSS and javascript files to a development web server
  • test web site
  • make required changes, re-upload, test again (repeat as required)
  • release web site (possibly by email, CD or FTP upload) to external testing agency, then repeat previous point
  • release web site (normally by FTP) to a live testing environment and test more thoroughly
  • relese web site (normally by FTP) to live environment

In a commercial/professional context, except in DIY cases, it would be extremely rare to see people using a web host's own page design tools and templates.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2009, 07:04:09 AM »
I don't know whether this was previously mentioned but "After careful consideration, Yahoo! has decided to close GeoCities later this year."

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2009, 07:05:59 AM »

soybean

Genius
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2009, 07:11:27 AM »
Well, I meant in this thread, since Amy uses GeoCities.  I just wondered whether she's aware of it.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2009, 07:31:02 AM »
Yes, Amy said:

Only other thing is Geocities is now going to be leaving, and I'm trying to figure out how to go about getting everything backed  properly.

Does anyone know if Geocities/Yahoo provides a means to export their websites?

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2009, 07:37:33 AM »
This tool seems to be worth a look: http://www.handybackup.net/web_hosting/geocities.shtml

soybean

Genius
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2009, 07:54:38 AM »
This tool seems to be worth a look: http://www.handybackup.net/web_hosting/geocities.shtml
That looks like a good tool, since Yahoo GeoCities has a File Manager which accomodates uploading files but not downloading.   

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2009, 12:02:58 PM »
Just to make sure I'm not misunderstanding and that others are understanding all the software/programs and stuff we already have.
I'm noticing more and more too that sometimes it's hard to figure out how to word things especially when others aren't sitting here with me to see what all we have setup and all on our computers and Internet stuff we have.
First, I went to that backup site, and it looks like stuff we already have setup already in our modem settings and stuff like that? Is that not? The reason I'm asking is due to an email I got awhile back from Webkinz on a problem I keep having and I still haven't got it fixed or figure out what to do about it either. You wrote to us about not being able to connect to the server when trying to use the kinzchat phone or going into the clubhouse. This feature also affects the Tournament Arena and KinzPost. Please make sure that all of your pop up blockers are off. If you have a router, please make sure that the HTTP port 80 is open and the FTP port 21 is open. Then it mentions about if this doesn't fix the problem to contact your ISP to make sure the security settings on the modem are not set to high.
I tried to get help from our ISP on this stuff and they did not seem to even understand what the problem is. So, no help with them on how to check these settings at all.
The other thing, I went back to this site map to look at some stuff http://www.inmotionhosting.com/site_map.htmlhere that my sister and her husband are doing their site at. If I go to the tutorials section that they have on some of the stuff, it seems to be the same type of stuff WYSIWYG editor stuff. I looked again at the tutorial on their, and seems to be the exact same stuff that we already have setup for everything the internet and stuff. I looked at the video and it shows tasks I already know how to do with other things too like Microsoft Word.
Plus I noticed our email programs seem to all have that same type of editors in it too.
Anyways, I'm scared to change anything because it would affect my mom's stuff too. We have Bellsouth DSL setup already. My nephew and his dad came and set it all up for us. Since my nephew is really good with computer stuff better than his Dad is, he did the settings and his Dad did the wiring setting. The modem and router go from my computer to mom's and we have it doing Wired, not Wireless.
One of the things that didn't make sense either, one person said for a stylesheet to clear out all the default settings in the browser.  Which if you are using different computers to work on sites, how would doing this on one computer help if you are having to switch back and forth to edit your pages and then one computer might not have the same browsers as yours. So, is a reason I was wondering if the KompoZer is a browser due to the screen shots I saw.

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2009, 12:17:55 PM »

This is for backing up your Geocities sites.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2009, 12:39:30 PM »
Amy, I think we're going to get bogged down here, if we try and deal with more than your web design issues.  In respect of the WebKinz stuff you're talking about, you may wish to post that in the networking forum here, or somewhere more suited to that particular issue.  (I don't understand exactly what you're trying to do but maybe it has something to do with port forwarding?)

Back to your stylesheets question, the only issue as I see it is that external stylesheets are, like images, amongst the things that browsers remember (cache).  Browsers don't always notice that one of these cached items has changed - which can be a problem for a web developer trying to see her new web page through her browser's eyes.  Usually the problem is resolved by pressing Ctrl+F5 while using the browser.  This forces a complete reload of the page, retrieving all previously cached elements whether they've changed or not.

I hope that helps.

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2009, 05:01:16 PM »
Oh Ok, that explains that they tell us to clear our cache out and stuff like that whenever having trouble viewing just any pages on the Internet? Like whenever things aren't viewing right, they say to clear the cache, cookies, history, all those things they say to do.
Whenever any sites out there have made changes, seems like I always also have to clear cache and all that stuff to be able to see the new stuff. Which I don't understand since it's not a page I created, a page someone else created, but we use the sites, like Webkinz is a site I use all the time. I know you don't know what Webkinz is, but we can make pages there too now, and it gives us so many other tools and stuff to build rooms and stuff for our pet and other things we had to buy and stuff and account to use the stuff we are doing on the site. So, like whenever Webkinz ads something new to the site, sometimes we have to clear all those things out to be able to do the new stuff they added. Like Games and other features they add.

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2009, 06:54:26 AM »
that explains that they tell us to clear our cache out and stuff like that whenever having trouble viewing just any pages on the Internet?
Yes.

Which I don't understand since it's not a page I created, a page someone else created,
It doesn't matter if you created it or not. The browser doesn't know it's "your" site.

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2009, 12:56:30 PM »
The browser doesn't know it's "your" site.
Yes, but if it's not my website though is what I was trying to understand.
A site I did not create, but go to.
Here is what I'm talking about that happens:
If you have been told to clear your cache files and do not know how to do it, please look below to find your browser and then follow the instructions about how to clear your cache files. Please note: Dial-up users SHOULD NOT attempt to clear their cache as it may create complications when trying to log back into Webkinz World.

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2009, 01:07:32 PM »
If you clear the cache, it deletes all the files from all the websites you have visited, not just ones you have created.