Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sound Card  (Read 19765 times)

curefreak

Topic Starter

Beginner

Sound Card
    « on: June 03, 2009, 07:41:55 PM »
    I royally messed up and accidently deleted my sound card driver :-[, even tho i was trying to get the volume control on my toolbar.

I have been trying to use Real player media and the computer help reference to reinstall the driver with no luck at all.

I get this error message when i try to play any mp3 files "cannot open the audio device, another application maybe using it"

My computer is running Windows XP and my computer speakers are Altec Lansing.

Thanks for any help in advanced. :)

hot dog

Re: Sound Card
    « Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 07:58:36 PM »
    Click START>right click "my computer">properties>hardware tab>device manager

Next to where is says, "sound, video, and game controllers" click on the "+"sign.  On the submenu, right-click on the Reltek (or whatever driver it is suppose to be) Audio Controller  Then click on "update" and see if Windows will get you another driver on the Internet....When you first go into Device Manager, there may be a yellow exclamation point or red X on the problematic item.....if there is a red X, simply right click and then click "enable", then see if your sound is back.....If there is a yellow exclamation point....just right click on it and click "update" !!

If you don't see any "Audio Controllers" in the sub menu, restart the computer and tap the F8 key, when you enter Advanced Options, select "last know good configuration" and see if your audio driver returns.

curefreak

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 08:59:38 PM »
      Ok that didn't work and i tried to use win amp and i got a different error message.

" bad direct sound driver: please install proper drivers or select another device in configuration error code 88780078"

hot dog

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 10:29:13 PM »
      oops...

curefreak

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 10:31:40 PM »
        Do you have a sound card, or is it onboard?
        What do you mean by "onboard" ?
        I'm almost certain i had a sound card - the thing that i accidently deleted was called "Sound Max"

hot dog

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 10:34:05 PM »
        If you have a sound card, turn off your computer and unplug it...open the case, and pull out the sound card and start up your computer again....Once your computer fully boots, shut down your computer again and reinstall the sound card and see if Windows will recognize it and install a driver.

edit: the difference is that a card is something you can install or uninstall.  Onboard means the card is integrated into the motherboard and cannot be disconnected. If it is onboard then it will appear that your speakers are plugged into some motherboard ports on the back of the computer....If you have a card installed, then your speakers will be plugged into the sound card ( the sound card itself plugs into one of the "slots" on the motherboard

curefreak

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 10:35:54 PM »
          If you have a sound card, turn off your computer and unplug it...open the case, and pull out the sound card and start up your computer again....Once your computer fully boots, shut down your computer again and reinstall the sound card and see if Windows will recognize it and install a driver.

edit: the difference is that a card is something you install.  Onboard means it's integrated into the motherboard and cannot be disconnected
          I don't know how to open my computer and i wouldn't know where my sound card is ???

hot dog

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 10:41:32 PM »
          What is the make and model of the computer and how old is it?

Broni

Mastermind
          • Kraków my love :)
            • Computer Help Forum
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 10:41:38 PM »
          What is your actual issue here?
          Do you have Windows sounds?
          What's computer brand, and model?

hot dog

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 10:45:31 PM »
          What is your actual issue here?

this is a good question because he said he "deleted" his sound card driver, and I'm not exactly sure what he means ::)

curefreak

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 10:51:50 PM »
            What is the make and model of the computer and how old is it?

It's a dell model is Ohm  and i've had it for about a year but i'm pretty sure it's not new (if you could tell me where to find when it was made i can tell you for sure)
            and yes i can hear a "ding" sound sometimes but that's it.

Broni

Mastermind
              • Computer Help Forum
            « Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 10:57:13 PM »
            I've never heard of Dell Ohm, and I don't see any reference to any name like this on Google.
            Is it desktop, or laptop?

curefreak

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 10:59:37 PM »
              Desktop .

curefreak

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2009, 11:00:46 PM »
                Maybe it's Dhm?
                 i'm sorry but i have a migraine and the words are kinda small to read right now.

Broni

Mastermind
                  • Computer Help Forum
                « Reply #14 on: June 03, 2009, 11:19:48 PM »
                Well, it's to far for me to see :)
                Because Dell is rather picky, regarding drivers, we need to know the model?
                Do you have any errors in Device Manager?
                See, if Irfanview will play any mp3: http://www.irfanview.com/