Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: To copy music or not to copy music, that is the question  (Read 5471 times)

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: To copy music or not to copy music, that is the question
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2009, 02:42:06 PM »
there is no universal moral law...

Ah, I counter your erudite assertion thusly: you're dead wrong.

Are there occasions in which it would be okay to kill and eat a child?

BC is about to define "art", so I shall sit back and enjoy.  ;)
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2009, 06:30:13 PM »

Personally, I just never seem to have enough ketchup. Also, it's tough keeping them in the soup pot. they keep jumping out. So I just stick with chicken. Sure, two letters difference- not quite the same.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

2x3i5x

Expert
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2009, 08:30:00 PM »
but what if you're on an island with cannabalism your only hope?

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2009, 01:54:17 AM »
Your only hope of what?  Dying with a guilty conscience?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2009, 08:55:46 AM »
and more importantly, are you able to acquire ketchup?

hmmm, that would make a rather interesting, if not disturbing ketchup commercial. something along the lines of a miracle whip commercial, but with ketchup, and the implication of cannibalism.

but what if you're on an island with cannabalism your only hope?

Islands generally have more then just... children on them. Even the island in Lord Of the flies had a conch shell. And pigs, and all sorts of stuff.

There was however- no ketchup.

Ironman

Hopeful
  • Virtus, Veneratio, Fidelitas
    • Yes
    • My Personal Site
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2009, 10:05:26 AM »
Ah, I counter your erudite assertion thusly: you're dead wrong.

Read pages 22-30(not the .pdf generated pgs but the actual pages listed on the book.)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8EGUFEX7

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2009, 11:00:26 AM »
Wow, I have never known another steamier pile of crap to be put into print.

Here is the problem though- this "morality" you and the book attribute to "god" existed LONG before the god we hear of today, or any gods of various other cultures; Take Stone age man. Now, I'm sure they were pretty violent, but in general, they had this human element known as Compassion.

Compassion, not necessarily "god" or any other form of super-being, is where morality get's it's base.

The book goes on to argue, that the very idea that murder is wrong is brought on by this supposed moral law brought on by the existence of god's laws.

The problem is, that isn't where your so-called "universal moral law" comes from. As mentioned, it's part of us, as human beings, ability to have compassion for other living things, but, more so, our respect for the relationships that us, as human beings, create amongst ourselves.

The basic idea is simple- actions that break these strings are definitely immoral, since they rip apart the fabric of society. Murder, obviously fits this bill. By killing another, you not only.. well- kill another.... but you also negatively impact the people that care about that person. Even more humourous, is that in the Anarchic chaos the book seems to preach, a murder of a families loved ones wouldn't be shrugged off, but rather dealt with quite angrily. More to the point, I find it ironic that, in order to try to justify their supposed right to steal the intellectual property of others, people actually have to go so far as to support the idea of a chaotic and lawless society.

A further irony is found in that, if such a state was to suddenly occur, these people, who, in most circumstances, limit their exercise to less then an hour a day, have stringy arms and legs and can barely lift their kitty-cat, would find that without order there would be no commerce. without commerce, industry collapses. without industry, bowls aren't made. so let me reach my point.

People with meaty strong arms,powerful legs abd a penchant for violence are likely to want to continue to eat soup, and still enjoy the smashing of the bowl afterward.

So, I'm sure we'd find said people quite able to overpower the so-called anarchists and create fashionable soup bowls out of their skulls and matching spoons out of their kitty-cats. All they have to do is smash their face in with a big rock, scoop out the brains, and TADA! it's a new bowl! After all, I mean- It's just a life. Good deal for a new soup bowl.

And even those that do survive for the longest will have difficulty adapting to the very chaos they subscribed to wanting- while order prevailed. Apparently none to aware that the order was what was preserving them, and their ability to support chaos. After all, once all network admins have had their skulls carved out into soup bowls, who will maintain the internet? Nobody. How will the self-proclaimed anarchist survive without his life-line to the virtual world, where he can scream his commitment to chaos, while at the same time adhering to a orderly existence elsewhere.

What does this have to do with the subject at hand? Why, quite a lot. The book goes on to essentially say that without the shackles of this moral law (since, the book previously used flawed logic to remove that concept) we can do whatever we want?

Oh really? If everybody were to suddenly believe that, well- then we have complete disorder and chaos! the perfect catalyst for a skulls to be smashed and/or turned into decorative bowls.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2009, 07:47:43 AM »
Oh really? If everybody were to suddenly believe that, well- then we have complete disorder and chaos! the perfect catalyst for a skulls to be smashed and/or turned into decorative bowls.

:)  People very rarely think through the logical consequences of post modern, relativistic, "I'll do whatever the *censored* I like" morality.

Personally, I don't think one can assert an absolute moral law without an absolute moral law giver but apart from that, I agree with BC's position.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2009, 11:06:33 AM »
does that include the whole "decorative bowl" angle I covered?  ;D

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2009, 02:02:14 AM »
Absolutely.  Good metaphor.