Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP-Unable to increase screen resolution & color posterized  (Read 3097 times)

[email protected]

Topic Starter

Starter

XP-Unable to increase screen resolution & color posterized
    « on: June 12, 2009, 10:16:45 AM »
    I am trying to help my friend with his computer running XP. Last night when turned on it would boot then switch between the splash screen & a black screen. I then booted & repaired XP from the boot disk. After completing this, I noticed the screen looked funny--posterized like only 3 or 4 colors to it. with a large cursor, menus & everything large , like when I run "safe mode" on my Vista.... Checked & it was at the lowest it could be for resolution (not sure of actual #'s-600? x 800?) & 4  (lowest). The really strange this was that in the menu to change these setting the slider for resolution won't move to "increase" when I try to slide it. With the color bit choice in the drop down there is only one choice where I'd expect to see at least 2. I am wondering if after repairing-reinstalling XP it might be in a safe mode? If so how to get out of it...Anyone have any ideas about what might be happening? Thank you for your time!             

Archer

Beginner

• Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: XP-Unable to increase screen resolution & color posterized
    « Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 10:29:55 AM »
         The graphic card drivers are dead most likely. You'll need to reinstall them first.
    良し! いこう! いこぜ みんな!

[email protected]

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 10:32:44 AM »
      Do you have any idea, on how I'd do this? (Thanks for the reply!)

---Also where would I look to see what kind/model/type he has?--Thx again :-)

Archer

Beginner

• Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 11:04:51 AM »
          Well...
         Option #1: delete it from 'Device manager'. If You are lucky enough, the system will find and install the proper driver (in case it is determined 'properly' and showing it is feeling good. But I suppose You should see a yellow mark aside).
         Option #2: examine the installation disks that were coming with the computer (it is assumed that one owning a hardware does have installation disks for it).
         Option #3: follow this link. Everest Home should help You with determining of Your Graphic card type.
         Option #4: wait for someone else to answer as I do not say there's no more options ;)
      良し! いこう! いこぜ みんな!