Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer privacy at work  (Read 2210 times)

trabitt

computer privacy at work
« on: June 12, 2009, 03:13:54 PM »
If I access my home email from work can the employer find out who or what content I'm looking at?

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: computer privacy at work
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 03:17:34 PM »
They can view the URL (the link of your inbox), but they cannot see your emails. All you have to do is be sure to logout every time.

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 08:19:29 PM »
Ensure that whatever you access on your work pc is permitted under any rules imposed by your employer..
One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 08:23:48 PM »
For example, the firewall where I work blocks the access of mail sites like gmail and yahoo, among other types of sites.  I can send and receive e-mail to and from external sources, but I cannot access my GMail account.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 08:39:36 PM »
In my old High-school, the teacher was able to take control of the screen, see what was on it- even put what was on one persons screen onto everybody elses. Why, this one time he took control of somebody who was using E-mail W/o permission, and changed the last line of his note to his girlfriend from "see you soon Lisa" to "See you soon, Debbie". I can only imagine the trouble he had explaining that.

But, anecdotes aside, some companies have monitoring/auditing of a similar sort in place- the actual screen content could be being viewed for example by a security auditor.

However since for the most part companies trust their employees to use their time for something productive, they probably don't actually go so far as to literally record the actions of employees on such an extended level. They may, however, be able to see that you have been accessing your home E-mail (via network logs), so if this is frowned upon you may still catch some flak.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.