Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New idea  (Read 6496 times)

Mulreay

New idea
« on: June 21, 2009, 06:30:04 PM »
Got a truly genius idea for a website. But I need to... well learn everything first.
So basics I need a site that will allow people to upload a video (where is this stored). The video is not available to everyone but only gets released after something happens. Erm it may be easier if I just tell someone what my idea is and then get some advice. Any takers?

squall_01

Prodigy

Re: New idea
    « Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 02:42:35 AM »
    Learn HTML an go from there.  You find that its gone to be about a hundred some if you get someone to do it for you.
    Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Mulreay

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 02:47:49 AM »
    Just want advice not somebody to do the work for me. Learn HTML? Am I not asking on a computer help forum?

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 02:50:33 AM »
      yes that you are, its the basic basic for constructing sites.  Alot if not all have it with other codes in them to give it more of a flare.
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Mulreay

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 02:55:33 AM »
      yes that you are, its the basic basic for constructing sites.  Alot if not all have it with other codes in them to give it more of a flare.

Thanks for the advice mate.  :)

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 02:57:29 AM »
        Were I started then moved from there, Javascript an Java some what.  Its the fundamentals you dont have too but a good place to start.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 02:59:50 AM »
        HTML, CSS, JavaScript. In this case you'll probably need your own domain and host, for server site script in PHP, ASP or what-not. Not a simple undertaking.

Essentially what you propose is a youtube with a slight change to allow for specific release dates. In fact this might already be a feature of youtube anyway. Best to look into that.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 03:01:14 AM »
          forgot about CSS, I know it generates an html embed code that allow you to kind of link it to there an shows the video in your pages.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 03:03:46 AM »
          well, yes, but mulreay's idea seems to be very similar, (uploading videos and so forth) with the addition of the "time to release" modifier.

As Squall hinted in his first post- if you want somebody to do this for you- your not going to get it for free.
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Mulreay

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 03:19:48 AM »
          Cheers BC. Before I go running around and use this CD I have for basic web design. Quick query my idea is not like youtube but now you mention it, it does have similar qualities. Where and how is the information stored? I mean youtube surely cannot store the TerraBytes involved with the content on there.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 03:34:10 AM »
            The places that host it will give you a set space.

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • Yes
            • Experience: Expert
            « Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 04:21:08 AM »
            I mean youtube surely cannot store the TerraBytes involved with the content on there.

Heh, have you seen Google's warehouse? ;D

Mulreay

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 04:45:06 AM »
            No but I'm guessing it's big!

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
              • Me
            • Experience: Expert
            « Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 05:58:39 AM »
            Got a truly genius idea for a website. But I need to... well learn everything first.
            So basics I need a site that will allow people to upload a video (where is this stored). The video is not available to everyone but only gets released after something happens. Erm it may be easier if I just tell someone what my idea is and then get some advice. Any takers?

Unless you really REALLY want the pain of doing this from scratch, you could consider a CMS like Drupal, which has an "actions" module that allows content to be published after some specified event takes place.
            Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2009, 07:21:40 AM »
              Best way to learn something is doing it that way.