Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Display Problem After Boot Up In Windows XP  (Read 3751 times)

corndale

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    Display Problem After Boot Up In Windows XP
    « on: June 27, 2009, 08:54:16 PM »
    I have a P-4 2.2G running Windows XP Home with all Service Pak upgrades. System memory is 1GB. ASUS motherboard with only PCI slots. Dell 19" Wide monitor with VGA & DVI inputs. Recently, my PCI e-GeForce FX 5200 DVI video card went bad. I replaced it with a e-GeForce 6200 DVI video card. When I turned the computer on, the initial boot up screen comes up as normal.  The display then shows the Windows XP logo sceen.  After that, the screen goes blank, even though I hear the computer continuing to boot up. I must pull the power cord to shut the computer off. I switched to the VGA port on the monitor and connected to the on-board video chip on the motherboard.  With that connection, everything works normally. When the 6200 was connected via DVI, as was the 5200, the graphics in the BIOS was set AUTO (verses on-board). I changed it to on-board when I connect using the on-board video chip. Has anyone run into a similiar problem and found a solution?

Quantos

Guru
    • Veni, Vidi, Vici
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Display Problem After Boot Up In Windows XP
    « Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 08:59:49 PM »
    Some video cards need to have the onboard video disabled in the BIOS, try that and let us know the result.
    Evil is an exact science.

JJ 3000

Egghead
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 09:39:01 PM »
    Same thing with safe mode?
    If so, uninstall the 5200's driver and then power down. Insert the new card and reboot.
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/

corndale

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
      « Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 07:36:38 AM »
      I reconnected the VGA cable to the on-board video chip, booted into XP, and installed the XP drivers from the CD for the 6200.  I then rebooted, changed in BIOS from on-board graphics to AUTO, shut the computer off, installed the 6200 video card and connected it to the monitor with the DVI cable, and rebooted.  The computer booted into XP.  However, the computer resolution was very low and displayed colors at 4bit.  The driver update program launched automatically.  I opted to connect to Windows Update This Time Only to locate an updated driver, as I normally do.  An updated driver was installed and I rebooted the computer, as instructed.  After booting past the Windows XP logo screen, the screen went blank, which was the original problem.  I have since reverted back to the on-board video chip with a VGA connection to the monitor.  This is very frustrating because I am not getting the quality display which is available with the  6200.  Does anyone have a solution for this problem?

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 07:51:05 AM »
      Don't let Windows choose the driver for the card.

Download this driver:
      http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_186.18_whql.html

1. Again, using the 5200, uninstall the driver you've now installed.
      2. Shut down. Unplug and insert the 6200 and connect monitor to it.
      3. Reboot. Disable on-board. Proceed to boot into Windows.
      4. When Windows detects new hardware, cancel it. Do not let Windows attempt to install the driver.
      5. Install the downloaded driver. Reboot.

corndale

Topic Starter

Beginner
      • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
        « Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 06:59:37 PM »
        Well everyone - I broke down & purchased a EVGA GeForce 6200 256 mb DVI/VGA video card.  Changed the BIOS to AUTO for the graphics, installed the card, connected the DVI cable & booted up.  It booted into Windows XP.  Display quality is as expected.  However, my Taskbar at the bottom of the screen does not appear.  I changed the resolution up & down and still no Taskbar.  I tried to adjust the screen both in the NVidia Control Panel and with the Dell S1909WX controls, with no success.  Also, the Start key on my keyboard does not bring up the Start button on the screen.  That's odd.  Therefore, I cannot access any programs the normal way.  My desktop only has the Recycle icon - I like to keep a clean desktop.  I can access the web and certain programs by using the shortcut keys on my keyboard.  I shut down using Windows Task Manager, connected the monitor to the video card with a VGA cable, booted up, and got the same result.  Frustrated to say the least.  My limited opinion is that this problem may have something to do with the way the video card is displaying the image on this widescreen monitor.  I appreciate any help anyone can give to resolve this problem.  I dread going back to the on-board video chip.  Thanks.

quaxo

Guru
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 07:18:47 PM »
        Did you follow my instructions for changing cards or did you just swap it out with the same driver again?

corndale

Topic Starter

Beginner
        • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
          « Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 05:23:24 AM »
          Quaxo - I followed your instructions when I installed the previous e-GeForce 6200 card which I could not get to work.  I installed the new EVGA GeForce 6200 card and booted up.  Should I uninstall the downloaded driver which you instructed me to use and do the process all over again?  To repeat-the display is fine except that the Taskbar does not show at the bottom of my screen.

Quantos

Guru
          • Veni, Vidi, Vici
            • Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #8 on: July 04, 2009, 05:27:37 AM »
          If you use the up and down arrows on the keypad does your desktop scroll to the taskbar?
          Evil is an exact science.

corndale

Topic Starter

Beginner
          • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
            « Reply #9 on: July 04, 2009, 05:58:15 AM »
            Well everyone-I found my solution to the Taskbar missing problem by downloading a small program called Repair Taskbar: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-xp-support/720135.htm  Worked like a charm.  My Taskbar is restored.  I shut down, connected by DVI cable, and am up and running.  What an adventure.  Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

globaltel

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2009, 08:41:38 AM »
              First , anytime you have display or driver related problem after an upgrade or new installation, You should load your operating system with safe mode in other not to loose the entire files. alternatively contact www.______________.com
              « Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 08:59:12 AM by patio »

quaxo

Guru
                • Yes
              « Reply #11 on: July 04, 2009, 08:54:34 AM »
              First , anytime you have display or driver related problem after an upgrade or new installation, You should load your operating system with safe mode in other not to loose the entire files. alternatively contact xxxxxxxxxxxxxx