Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Could someone please tell me if you can see the pictures?  (Read 25745 times)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Could someone please tell me if you can see the pictures?
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2009, 07:54:33 PM »
I think Amy might be using the Angelfire editor site building tool which they say "will let you build a website in minutes, no HTML skill required."

Is that right Amy? I don't think she was using Word to make the webpages...

aside from the STYLE attributes referencing Enumerations in the word library-

"msoNormal" mso= MicroSoft Office- why would the built in editor use that?

either way I suspect the reason is because she is using a folder on her PC, "mycomputersitefiles", but this doesn't reflect the state of things on the server.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2009, 08:07:25 PM »
"msoNormal" mso= MicroSoft Office-
Yeah, I really hadn't looked at her source code but, now that I have looked, Word was obviously used. 

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2009, 08:43:35 PM »
No, this is a forum, or discussion board. 
Ok, this is even more confusing. Why then does it have things that we edit what we are typing out here? Like we can center it, bold, add images, so many things. Same as like in our email programs too same type of things to edit the document.

I guess the reason I didn't see the red x is I'm using Mozilla.

The computer created the folder mycomputersite_files
That entire folder seems to have other things listed before it too such as My Documents, and also seems to put my mom's name in it too since this is her computer I guess that is why it has her name in it.

I use all different things to make my pages. Seems like some editors have more features than others. Only other thing I keep noticing is if I use what the websites give you to make the pages, then how do you back those files up is my other problems I'm running into trying to figure that out.
Also, I hope people don't think I'm just beginning to create websites either. I've been doing them for years now. So many different things I see typed out  that it gets so confusing what is wrong or right ways. Here is a link to one of my other sites I've got on Angelfire that is showing up- http://www.angelfire.com/fl/JTT99/

Here is the link http://www.mountaindragon.com/html/images.htm#TOCfor a site that is making it even more confusing so you can see what I'm talking about. If you scroll down a bit on that site, it will show vspace in image tags. So, if this is something wrong, why are there things out there doing it this way.
The other big thing too is due to my health, I can't type for long or do much things for long. So, is easy for me to use the editors I'm using.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2009, 09:06:34 PM »
Absolutely nothing wrong with using editors.

You might think about using something simple like Notepad, instead of Word, as I suspect Word adds a lot of unnecessary material to your code.  (I'm not sure of this, but it is a suspicion.)

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

2x3i5x

Expert
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2009, 11:07:17 PM »
Just llike people were not liking frontpage back in the day, not because it wasn't easy to use, but because the automated html generator of the frontpage added extra coding that was not necessary.

Ok, this is even more confusing ....

Technically I'd consider an editor some kind of program that you can use to edit or design things -- like when you are editing a webpage code for example. But then a forum or discussion board (although can have things that resemble an editor like the bold, italics, underline etc. buttons), you're posting messages to others, or in other words, discussion .... hence "discussion board"  :D

I wonder if you had remembered to create a properly named folder (name of folder should be "mycomputersite_files" without the quotation marks) which should be in the root or home directory of angelfire ... if not, maybe that's giving you the error...

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2009, 11:55:53 PM »
This is even more weird. I sort of have things working mostly I think, except on the links page, one of the images seems to show up using Mozilla but it shows the x in Internet Explorer.
Everything else seems to be showing up just fine in both browsers though. Here is the http://ilovecomputers9.angelfire.com link to the main page of the site and then if you click on the thing that says links to other sites is the links page I created.

I really enjoy creating things too. That's one thing that things like Word let me create the background the way I want it to.
Just seems really weird though why under like Web Design classes, frontpage is also one it lists. Seems like a waste of time for the teachers having to teach how to do all that if not a good thing to use those things.

2x3i5x

Expert
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2009, 12:03:06 AM »
That is one thing I hate about website making. One browser would like one of my pages and different browser would not like it and display the website funny. And your can't really guarantee what browser your visitors like to be using...  :P
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 11:13:14 AM by 2x3i5x »

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2009, 07:50:08 AM »
I really enjoy creating things too. That's one thing that things like Word let me create the background the way I want it to.
If you knew how to code HTML, you could create the background the way you want it.

Just seems really weird though why under like Web Design classes, frontpage is also one it lists. Seems like a waste of time for the teachers having to teach how to do all that if not a good thing to use those things.
Where was this Web Design class?  Was it a course offered at a regular college, for college credit?  I doubt that it was such.  I know, for a fact, that students in web design classes at Columbus State Community College, in Columbus, Ohio, are told NOT to use Word because it inserts a lot of extra, unneeded coding; students are told use a text editor, such as Notepad.  I'm quite sure the same policy is the norm for most, perhaps nearly all, respectable college courses in web design. 

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2009, 08:50:19 AM »
I have used HTML Kit in the past.  Lots of feature.  Free!

Another which I've recently donwloaded, but not yet tried, is http://www.alleycode.com/Alleycode.  Also free.

Give them a look, Amy, as they have editing capabilities, but also let you see your code.

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2009, 12:09:06 PM »
Yes, it was offered for college credit at Pensacola Junior College. Also, my nephew who is an Accountant, and is taking classes at University Of West Florida just had to take a webdesign class for his degree he is doing. They were using Word in the class.
Microsoft Word lets me see the html codes though.The other big thing is how can you use Notepad when sites don't offer that as a choice to use in the first place? They have you use a WYSIWYG editors.
Also notepad doesn't have a spellchecker, you can only use one font with it. Can't use bold or do any other thing to just one word or a few words because it does it to the whole document. You can't add pictures or anything else either.
Last time I tried to use my Notepad for just taking notes, I couldn't due to problems its having and people hacking in typing over things and all these little dots.... coming across the screen.
Plus as I keep trying to say too, due to my health, lots of physically disabilities I have, it would be impossible for me to type out all those codes that the editors do for you. 
Also, everytime I go to any site on the Internet, there are so many errors all over every website I go to. Sites that are not mine at all. So, how is anyone ever suppose to do anything correct if everything out there is wrong in the first place.
I'm sorry, but I can't download that html editor. It's my mom's computer, she doesn't want me to do it. She says why can't we just use what we already have. The computer doesn't have the room for it either. Plus she says we already have software that will do these things already, so why do we need something else?
Also, I notice that some keep saying that Word or any of the other Office programs don't do CSS, but then could someone please explain why there are CSS files and also this here-
About attaching cascading style sheets
You can use Microsoft Word to attach, remove, and manage cascading style sheets (CSS) for Web pages. Cascading style sheets provide a convenient way to format several Web pages or a whole Web site. To change the format of the pages, you can make changes to the style sheet without having to edit each Web page.
You can use Word to attach more than one style sheet. For example, you might have a style sheet that's part of a large Web site, such as one for a university, and then another style sheet that defines a smaller group of related pages, such as one for a department within the university.
You can also determine which style sheet takes precedence over another, in case conflicting styles are defined for the same elements.

When you attach a style sheet to your Web page in Word, the styles will appear in the Styles and Formatting task pane.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2009, 12:22:48 PM »
It's my mom's computer, she doesn't want me to do it. She says why can't we just use what we already have.

They were just suggestions.  The thing I liked most about HTML kit was that you could see the results of your pages without having to "launch" a browser.

Let me check one more I've seen folks recommend:  Notepad ++

Your mom has a point, but what if you found something better than what you have?  That's the reason I'm making the suggestions, that's all.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 12:40:48 PM by Aegis »

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2009, 12:41:30 PM »
Are you talking about launching a browser for viewing any website, or just with a site we created?
No, we don't have to launch the browser to view what we create using Office programs. There is a weblayout viewing thing, and it lets us view the page with the background, pictures, text, everything we put on it.
Also, has an html source code viewer too. That is what is getting confusing people saying it doesn't, but it does seem to.
I also noticed that Netscape which isn't around anymore, but I still have it on my computer seems to allow you to create a website too, only thing I notice is the coding is a little different, and it puts like the word style in different places than I notice in Word. Is that what you all are talking about?
Also, I'm not doing this for a job or anything due to my health and disabilities are so many things I can't do and can't do for long either.
I'm only doing it for hobby since I like to create things, and people do seem to be able to see my sites just fine. I have guestbooks on my sites and people seem to really enjoy my sites and even say I have good structure on it them too are just some of the things people have been saying. Except I know we keep having hacking and stuff too and that keeps messing stuff up too. So, then makes me not want to spend alot of time anyways because it gets messed up.
All I say is I'm sorry if there is anyone out there who doesn't like the things I use to create my pages with.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2009, 12:46:25 PM »
Oh, don't apologize!

If Word is working for you, and it has all those feature -- I was not aware! -- then continue doing what you're doing.  (Sounds like you've done a lot more page creation than me!) 

:)

AmyR7

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Hi Everyone!!
    • Funtrivia
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2009, 12:53:45 PM »
Ok, this explains some of the confusion I think. We are talking about 2 different Notepads then.
Looking through the screenshots and stuff, our notepad looks totally different from it.
Our's also isn't called Notepad++
Microsoft Notepad Version 5.1 is what it says if you go up to help and About Notepad.

Sorry, but my mom still doesn't want me to download it.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2009, 01:01:18 PM »
Nothing wrong with the basic Notepad...the last one I suggested is more of a "beefed-up" version which some people prefer to use over the regular Notepad, that's all.