Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cannot start Windows. Please help!  (Read 1656 times)

natbates78

Cannot start Windows. Please help!
« on: July 16, 2009, 03:11:22 AM »
Hi, I've made a bit of a mess of my computer and now don't know what to do.  It won't start up properly at all now.  It's a Packard Bell, about 1 1/2 years old, operating on Vista Basic.
Basically, I downloaded a film that I think was dodgy and now it's caused me all sorts of problems and I'm worried I may have lost everything on my hard drive.  After I realised the film was no good, I deleted it and thought I better run a quick virus scan, just in case.   I use AVG for this.  I started the scan and walked away but a minute or two later I heard the pc 'pip' as if it was turning itself back on.  Then I got the black and white screen and just two options ; 'Start Windows Normally' and 'Start Windows Recovery'.  I tried to start normally but after the splash screen, the screen just stays black and nothing happens.  Then I turned off/on and tried the 'Windows Recovery' option.  From the menu within this option, I took the ioption to go back to a restore point, which involved several scans to fix any problems first (which lasted about 45 mins).  The scans said that they could find nothing wrong with the system but it still wouldn't start from the last restore point.  I also tried other options in this menu, such as letting the Windows recover try to fix files etc. but still no good.  When I start the computer, I still just get the two options, both of which seem a bit futile now. 
Is it worth trying to start the system in Safe Mode (even though at the moment it's not giving me this option on startup) and doing anything from there, if I can?  I'm definitely no PC expert but I don't really no what to try next.  Have I lost everything on my PC???