Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unknow Compaq IPAQ  (Read 9877 times)

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

Unknow Compaq IPAQ
    « on: July 21, 2009, 12:06:16 PM »
    I recently got a Compaq IPAQ Pent 3 but as much as I now.  There is no tags on it so I dont now what it is.  Dont think that there are any needed drivers but I'm also haveing an issue I think with the sounds comeing out of the speaker not sure if its suppose to be like that.  But I put 2k on it an everything seems to work other then that.  But I rather have the drivers an what not just in case.
    Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Unknow Compaq IPAQ
    « Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 12:35:31 PM »
    What does it look like?
    Is it some kind of slimline case?
    If so, I had one for a while, might be able to help.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 02:56:28 PM »
      Its a mini, with a u shape to it an push off sides an such.  Its an older unit an has ps/2 connectors, sorry for the rush of this.  I had to do it quickly at the time.  Long time no see, we need to talk.  ;)
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 04:05:36 AM »
      Mine's not quite the same, mine was some weird legacy-free version with no PS/2 ports but only 2 USB ... that was awkward to use, it really needed a USB hub if I wanted more than my keyboard and mouse plugged in.  It was very difficult to take apart, even worse to put back together, and extremely cramped inside.  I got rid of it quite quickly.
      Yours may be better for you though, doesn't sound like it's the same one.
      Good luck with it :)

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 04:20:00 AM »
        there the same except this one being an older model.  I'll attempt to talk with compaq but little to go on here.

neelchauhan

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 06:41:22 AM »
        I found the drivers at:
        http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/ProductList.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=135&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=96490
        On searchesm it is confusing between the desktop and the pocket PCs.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 09:23:38 AM »
          another reason why its hard to find, also cant say if those are the right ones or not.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 12:11:19 PM »
          Just an FYI for those than may be reading this thread.

I had a couple of these at different times, found both of them in the trash.

The "old" iPAQ was a desktop computer.
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPAQ_(desktop_computer)

The "new" iPAQ is a PDA.
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPAQ

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 12:12:34 PM »
          Thanks for the pictures and clarification, CC.
          My old iPAQ did look like the desltop shown, but it had no PS/2, serial, parallel ports etc - just USB, network, audio and VGA.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 12:32:14 PM »
            ah that makes a little more sense.  Mine only has front usb I think but it still dont know what ether of them are.  I'm not going to be able to tell what the one is that is like calum's.  But the one that I want to use can be changed an what not with out troubles.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
            « Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 12:56:32 PM »
            They sure are weird ones, I believe iPAQ stood for "internet ComPAQ".  They were introduced about the time broadband internet was signing up customers faster than dial-up, around 1999-2001.

One of Compaq's last "good ideas" before being sold to HP.

Very little of it is standardized with desktop PC's, actually has more in common with some HMI PLC's (i.e. Allen-Bradley PanelView)

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 01:06:56 PM »
              I had the feeling when you could like add cards or anything.  Not a big deal cause of were I'm takeing it too.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
              « Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 01:16:33 PM »
              I had the feeling when you could like add cards or anything.  Not a big deal cause of were I'm takeing it too.
              I'm having a little trouble understanding what you're saying.  If you're asking if iPAQ has expansion slots:  it doesn't.  BTW, USB is likely 1.1, not 2.0.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 01:20:15 PM »
                ment couldnt.  thats evil you could like patch that or something?  Still have answered my orginal post here.

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                « Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 06:50:39 PM »
                ment couldnt.  thats evil you could like patch that or something?  Still have answered my orginal post here.

HuH ? ?
                " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

GX1_Man

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2009, 08:08:28 PM »
                It is definitely USB 1.1. They can be difficult to get in if the are locked and you don't have the key. Generally these were Celeon or P3's from 500 MHZ to 1 GHz. Ypgrades were not what these were made for, and I think the max. RAM was 256 meg and room for only 1 hard drive. Onbard graphics were the only option.

Drivers are available when you know the exact model.

Everest will tell you all and I know it runs on Win2K.  ;)

http://majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
                  • Yes
                « Reply #16 on: July 23, 2009, 04:26:04 AM »
                Just to add a little - mine was definitely USB 1.1.  It did have 512MB of RAM and a 1GHz PIII though.  There were no upgrade options I could see - no expansion slots, no RAM upgrades, etc, I think the only way to "upgrade" would be a better HDD or possibly CPU, but then heat issues may arise from the cramped case.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 04:37:32 AM »
                  sorry, I was attempting to message differntly.  Ment that you couldnt update the driver or something too them for usb 2.  Its not a big deal ment that my orginal queestion wasnt being answered.  Can we stay away from everst here.  I looked on there site but there isnt any pics to go by.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
                    • Yes
                  « Reply #18 on: July 23, 2009, 04:41:02 AM »
                  USB 1.1 to 2.0 is not a driver update, no, it's hardware.
                  Unfortunately you're stuck with the slower speed on that machine.

I also meant to mention, mine didn't have a lock but did have security Torx screws (the Torx ones with a dot in the middle) which was difficult to open mainly because I'd never seen that kind of screw before.

As for finding the exact model, if there are no stickers at all on the case that you can use to ID it, your other options are to use something like Everest to get the details or to open it up and try to find a sticker inside.

patio

• Genius
                  • Maud' Dib
                    • Yes
                  « Reply #19 on: July 23, 2009, 05:16:45 AM »
                  Why would you not want Everest Home ? ?
                  It's a pretty useful tool and it's FREE.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2009, 05:18:44 AM »
                    cause its a pain like that driver one that you keep telling people to use.  I have to wait no matter what extensively an win 7 RC testing is almost over.

patio

• Genius
                    • Maud' Dib
                      • Yes
                    « Reply #21 on: July 23, 2009, 05:47:37 AM »
                    I've NEVER suggested a driver app to anyone here....

Win7 RC is good til June of next year.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2009, 05:49:42 AM »
                      no but on that fourm it is.  I think I have something that may work,  I have so much programs its hard to recall this stuff.

GX1_Man

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2009, 06:24:56 PM »
                      cause its a pain like that driver one that you keep telling people to use.  I have to wait no matter what extensively an win 7 RC testing is almost over.

Everest is a pain? You click on Report and press enter 3 times. Hardly painful.  ;)

patio

• Genius
                      • Maud' Dib
                        • Yes
                      « Reply #24 on: July 23, 2009, 06:35:01 PM »

squall...
                      This is the 2nd time recently you have stated i do things that i do not do...
                      Please keep your facts straight if you are going to Post something about me in future.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2009, 05:07:57 AM »
                        I'm not saing you are, I dont recall that.  The lack of flexiblity prevents me from a few things.  I've tried useing this before to only have it not work.

patio

• Genius
                        • Maud' Dib
                          • Yes
                        « Reply #26 on: July 24, 2009, 06:58:03 AM »
                        Look up...

cause its a pain like that driver one that you keep telling people to use.

Everest is a fairly simple program to use...

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2009, 06:27:54 AM »
                          I have more trouble useing it off line rather then when I'm on.  Its rather hard stuff to do when there are alot of machines an what not.

patio

• Genius
                          • Maud' Dib
                            • Yes
                          « Reply #28 on: July 25, 2009, 06:34:40 AM »
                          Actually it isn't difficult.
                          Install
                          Run
                          Save report as text file.

Done.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2009, 07:19:40 AM »
                            I'll try it on my tester first but it was rather hard to figure it out for some reason.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                            • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                              • Yes
                              • Yes
                              • BC-Programming.com
                            « Reply #30 on: July 25, 2009, 10:23:35 AM »
                            I'll try it on my tester first but it was rather hard to figure it out for some reason.

Yes me too. I kept pushing X, clicking on taskbar buttons and notification tray icons and quicklaunch shortcuts to try to get it to save the report, then I realized it was the Save report option. They really should make it more obvious, like have a huge 72 Point banner printed on the desktop that says, "use Report->Save" to save a report"

perhaps it could even include text that says what not to do, such as "do not click desktop icons. this will not work. Do not pick your nose and eat it. This won't work either. It is also recommended that you not use a chainsaw while the report is being saved."
                            I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Quantos

Guru
                            • Veni, Vidi, Vici
                              • Yes
                              • Yes
                            • Experience: Guru
                            « Reply #31 on: July 25, 2009, 10:31:29 AM »
                            It is also recommended that you not use a chainsaw while the report is being saved."

Why would that be?
                            Evil is an exact science.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                            • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                              • Yes
                              • Yes
                              • BC-Programming.com
                            « Reply #32 on: July 25, 2009, 10:49:40 AM »
                            Why would that be?

I don't know. I had my chainsaw all gassed up and everything. Boy was that disappointing!
                            I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2009, 11:28:50 AM »
                              thanks for reminding me.  It wasnt all that easy to understand but I think I got an idea to figure it out.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2009, 05:12:48 AM »
                                Computer:
                                      Operating System                                  Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
                                      OS Service Pack                                   Service Pack 4
                                      DirectX                                           4.07.00.0700 (DirectX 7.0)
                                      Computer Name                                     COMPAQ
                                      User Name                                         Robert

Motherboard:
                                      CPU Type                                          Intel Pentium IIIE, 733 MHz (5.5 x 133)
                                      Motherboard Name                                  Compaq iPaq
                                      Motherboard Chipset                               Intel Whitney i810E
                                      System Memory                                     160 MB  (SDRAM)
                                      BIOS Type                                         Compaq (02/10/99)
                                      Communication Port                                Communications Port (COM1)
                                      Communication Port                                ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
                                      Video Adapter                                     Intel Corporation 810 Graphics Controller Hub  (4 MB)
                                      3D Accelerator                                    Intel i752
                                      Monitor                                           Dell E151FPb  [15" LCD]  (8W2343451R7T)

Multimedia:
                                      Audio Adapter                                     Intel 82801AA I/O Controller Hub - AC'97 Audio Adapter [B-1]

Storage:
                                      IDE Controller                                    Intel(r) 82801AA Bus Master IDE Controller
                                      Disk Drive                                        WDC WD400BB-55JHC0  (37 GB, IDE)
                                      Optical Drive                                     COMPAQ CD-ROM CRN-8241B  (24x CD-ROM)
                                      SMART Hard Disks Status                           OK

Partitions:
                                      C: (NTFS)                                         38165 MB (36642 MB free)

Input:
                                      Keyboard                                          Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
                                      Mouse                                             PS/2 Compatible Mouse

Network:
                                      Network Adapter                                   Intel(R) 82559 Fast Ethernet LOM with Basic Alert on LAN*

Peripherals:
                                      USB1 Controller                                   Intel 82801AA I/O Controller Hub - USB Controller [B-1]
                                      USB Device                                        USB Mass Storage Device

--------[ DMI ]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ BIOS ]

BIOS Properties:
                                      Vendor                                            Compaq
                                      Version                                           686J5 v2.10
                                      Release Date                                      04/30/2001
                                      Size                                              512 KB
                                      Boot Devices                                      Floppy Disk, Hard Disk, CD-ROM, LS-120
                                      Capabilities                                      Flash BIOS, Shadow BIOS, Selectable Boot, EDD, BBS
                                      Supported Standards                               DMI, APM, ACPI, ESCD, PnP
                                      Expansion Capabilities                            AGP, USB

[ System ]

System Properties:
                                      Manufacturer                                      Compaq
                                      Product                                           iPaq
                                      Serial Number                                     6X18FTD4D01A
                                      Universal Unique ID                               46D4F193-0E8FD511-ABE9236E-9373561C
                                      Wake-Up Type                                      Power Switch

[ Motherboard ]

Motherboard Properties:
                                      Product                                           0630h

[ Chassis ]

Chassis Properties:
                                      Asset Tag                                         6X18FTD4D01A
                                      Chassis Type                                      Desktop Case
                                      Boot-Up State                                     Safe
                                      Power Supply State                                Safe
                                      Thermal State                                     Safe
                                      Security Status                                   External interface enabled

[ Processors / Pentium(R) III processor 733 MHz ]

Processor Properties:
                                      Manufacturer                                      Intel
                                      Version                                           Pentium(R) III processor 733 MHz
                                      External Clock                                    133 MHz
                                      Maximum Clock                                     1000 MHz
                                      Current Clock                                     733 MHz
                                      Type                                              Central Processor
                                      Voltage                                           2.0 V
                                      Status                                            Enabled
                                      Upgrade                                           Slot 1
                                      Socket Designation                                XU1

[ Caches / Internal L1 Cache ]

Cache Properties:
                                      Type                                              Internal
                                      Operational Mode                                  Write-Through
                                      Associativity                                     4-way Set-Associative
                                      Maximum Size                                      32 KB
                                      Installed Size                                    32 KB
                                      Supported SRAM Type                               Burst
                                      Current SRAM Type                                 Burst
                                      Socket Designation                                Internal L1 Cache

[ Caches / Cache L2 ]

Cache Properties:
                                      Type                                              Internal
                                      Operational Mode                                  Write-Through
                                      Associativity                                     4-way Set-Associative
                                      Maximum Size                                      4096 KB
                                      Installed Size                                    256 KB
                                      Supported SRAM Type                               Burst
                                      Current SRAM Type                                 Burst
                                      Error Correction                                  Single-bit ECC
                                      Socket Designation                                Cache L2

[ Memory Devices / XMM1 ]

Memory Device Properties:
                                      Form Factor                                       DIMM
                                      Type                                              SDRAM
                                      Type Detail                                       Synchronous
                                      Size                                              128 MB
                                      Speed                                             100 MHz
                                      Total Width                                       64-bit
                                      Data Width                                        64-bit
                                      Device Locator                                    XMM1
                                      Manufacturer                                      JEDEC ID: AD FF FF FF FF FF FF FF
                                      Serial Number                                     3ED02F80
                                      Part Number                                       71V16635HCT8R-H

[ Memory Devices / XMM2 ]

Form Factor                                       DIMM
                                      Type                                              SDRAM
                                      Type Detail                                       Synchronous
                                      Size                                              32 MB
                                      Speed                                             100 MHz
                                      Total Width                                       64-bit
                                      Data Width                                        64-bit
                                      Device Locator                                    XMM2
                                      Manufacturer                                      JEDEC ID: AD FF FF FF FF FF FF FF
                                      Serial Number                                     3D770770
                                      Part Number                                       7V65401ATRG-10S

[ Memory Devices / XU15 ]

Form Factor                                       Chip
                                      Type                                              FLASH
                                      Type Detail                                       Non-volatile
                                      Size                                              512 KB
                                      Total Width                                       4-bit
                                      Data Width                                        4-bit
                                      Device Locator                                    XU15

[ Port Connectors / COM A ]

Port Connector Properties:
                                      Port Type                                         Serial Port 16550A Compatible
                                      Internal Reference Designator                     COM A
                                      Internal Connector Type                           9 Pin Dual Inline (pin 10 cut)
                                      External Reference Designator                     COM A
                                      External Connector Type                           DB-9 pin male

[ Port Connectors / PAR ]

Port Type                                         Parallel Port ECP/EPP
                                      Internal Reference Designator                     PAR
                                      Internal Connector Type                           25 Pin Dual Inline (pin 26 cut)
                                      External Reference Designator                     PAR
                                      External Connector Type                           DB-25 pin female

[ Port Connectors / USB 1 ]

Port Type                                         USB
                                      Internal Reference Designator                     USB 1
                                      Internal Connector Type                           USB
                                      External Reference Designator                     USB 1
                                      External Connector Type                           USB

[ Port Connectors / USB 2 ]

Port Type                                         USB
                                      Internal Reference Designator                     USB 2
                                      Internal Connector Type                           USB
                                      External Reference Designator                     USB 2
                                      External Connector Type                           USB

[ Port Connectors / KBD ]

Port Type                                         Keyboard Port
                                      Internal Reference Designator                     KBD
                                      Internal Connector Type                           PS/2
                                      External Reference Designator                     KBD
                                      External Connector Type                           PS/2

[ Port Connectors / MOUSE ]

Port Type                                         Mouse Port
                                      Internal Reference Designator                     MOUSE
                                      Internal Connector Type                           PS/2
                                      External Reference Designator                     MOUSE
                                      External Connector Type                           PS/2

[ Port Connectors / P20:Primary IDE ]

Port Type                                         None
                                      Internal Reference Designator                     P20:Primary IDE
                                      Internal Connector Type                           On-Board IDE
                                      External Connector Type                           None

[ Port Connectors / P21:Secondary IDE ]

Port Type                                         None
                                      Internal Reference Designator                     P21:Secondary IDE
                                      Internal Connector Type                           On-Board IDE

[ Port Connectors / Line I/O:MIC ]

Port Type                                         MIDI Port
                                      Internal Reference Designator                     J13
                                      External Reference Designator                     Line I/O:MIC
                                      External Connector Type                           Mini-DIN

[ Port Connectors / Audio Line In ]

Internal Reference Designator                     J15
                                      External Reference Designator                     Audio Line In

[ Port Connectors / Audio Line Out ]

Internal Reference Designator                     J15
                                      External Reference Designator                     Audio Line Out

[ Port Connectors / Head Phone ]

Internal Reference Designator                     J13
                                      External Reference Designator                     Head Phone

[ Port Connectors / P9:NICWakeup ]

Internal Reference Designator                     P9:NICWakeup

[ Port Connectors / Chassis Fan ]

Internal Reference Designator                     Chassis Fan

[ Port Connectors / P6:Speaker ]

Internal Reference Designator                     P6:Speaker

--------[ Chipset ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ North Bridge: Intel Whitney i810E ]

North Bridge Properties:
                                      North Bridge                                      Intel Whitney i810E
                                      Revision                                          03
                                      Package Type                                      421 Pin BGA
                                      Package Size                                      3.1 cm x 3.1 cm
                                      Core Voltage                                      1.8 V
                                      In-Order Queue Depth                              4

Memory Timings:
                                      CAS Latency (CL)                                  3T
                                      RAS To CAS Delay (tRCD)                           2T
                                      RAS Precharge (tRP)                               2T
                                      RAS Active Time (tRAS)                            5T
                                      Row Cycle Time (tRC)                              7T

Memory Slots:
                                      DRAM Slot #1                                      128 MB  (SDRAM)
                                      DRAM Slot #2                                      32 MB  (SDRAM)

Integrated Graphics Controller:
                                      Graphics Controller Type                          Intel i752
                                      Graphics Controller Status                        Enabled
                                      Shared Memory Size                                1 MB

Chipset Manufacturer:
                                      Company Name                                      Intel Corporation
                                      Product Information                               http://www.intel.com/products/browse/chipsets.htm
                                      Driver Download                                   http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/index.htm

[ South Bridge: Intel 82801AA ICH ]

South Bridge Properties:
                                      South Bridge                                      Intel 82801AA ICH
                                      Revision / Stepping                               02 / B1
                                      Package Type                                      241 Pin BGA
                                      Package Size                                      2.3 cm x 2.3 cm
                                      Core Voltage                                      3.3 V

AC'97 Audio Controller:
                                      Audio Controller Type                             Intel 82801AA ICH
                                      Codec Name                                        Analog Devices AD1881A
                                      Codec ID                                          41445348h
                                      S/PDIF Output                                     Not Supported

Chipset Manufacturer:
                                      Company Name                                      Intel Corporation
                                      Product Information                               http://www.intel.com/products/browse/chipsets.htm
                                      Driver Download                                   http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/index.htm

I think all is there that is needed.  I seen some of the links to get drives but figure it easier to just get them off the compaq site.