Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: new to Apple!!  (Read 6957 times)

junkies

Topic Starter

new to Apple!!
    « on: July 28, 2009, 09:57:05 AM »
    Im a PC users but i want to buy a Mac and i know nothing about Mac, could u give me some information about Mac OS that difer from the other Operating System ???

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: new to Apple!!
    « Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 10:14:43 AM »
    what exactly do you want to know?

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

socrates

Apprentice

• I know nothing except for the fact of my ignorance
      • Yes
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 02:52:40 PM »
    I'd love to help and answer your questions, but like bc programmer, I have nothing to go off of.  What exactly are you looking to find out about apple?  Also, how familiar are you with other OS's (Windows, Linux (if so, what distro)), etc?

Quantos

Guru
    • Veni, Vidi, Vici
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 08:56:47 PM »
    Im a PC users but i want to buy a Mac and i know nothing about Mac, could u give me some information about Mac OS that difer from the other Operating System ???

All we can tell you is what we know, most of us don't use Mac.  You could probably get good info from a Mac salesman though. 

What do you intend to do with the computer? 
    What do you have to spend? 
    Why are you considering a Mac?
    Evil is an exact science.

junkies

Topic Starter

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 07:48:16 AM »
      All we can tell you is what we know, most of us don't use Mac.  You could probably get good info from a Mac salesman though. 

What do you intend to do with the computer? 
      What do you have to spend? 
      Why are you considering a Mac?

Well right now im using Toshiba with windows XP as an Operating system, it an old one it only contain 1.86GHz processors and 504 MB of RAM and 55 GB of Hard Disk.

Im intend to use it for work in Graphics designing
      Im currently stay in Thailand so i have only 50,000 B in $ 1470
      i dont know but i heard Mac is better than PC for some reason, so that why im asking you guys what are the advantages of choosing Mac over PC?

and another thing, from what i heard is Mac are very hard to use, is it true?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 09:18:52 AM »

This, I can say with a good amount of certainty, is untrue. In fact, many things of a mac are easier then windows. Since Apple "hand selects" much if it's hardware, oftentimes their machines crash less often then a cobbled together windows machine; that's not to say they are immune to crashes, of course. Although, this does raise the price of their machines.

The only real disadvantage I can think of, Is cost;  Mac/Apple machines are  often more expensive then an equivalent PC.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

socrates

Apprentice

• Yes
      « Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 09:25:25 AM »
      This, I can say with a good amount of certainty, is untrue. In fact, many things of a mac are easier then windows. Since Apple "hand selects" much if it's hardware, oftentimes their machines crash less often then a cobbled together windows machine; that's not to say they are immune to crashes, of course. Although, this does raise the price of their machines.

The only real disadvantage I can think of, Is cost;  Mac/Apple machines are  often more expensive then an equivalent PC.

This is a very good response.  Macs typically cost more but you also get hand picked hardware and software written to be well integrated with it.

socrates

Apprentice

• Yes
      « Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 09:31:37 AM »
      Well right now im using Toshiba with windows XP as an Operating system, it an old one it only contain 1.86GHz processors and 504 MB of RAM and 55 GB of Hard Disk.

Im intend to use it for work in Graphics designing
      Im currently stay in Thailand so i have only 50,000 B in $ 1470
      i dont know but i heard Mac is better than PC for some reason, so that why im asking you guys what are the advantages of choosing Mac over PC?

If you're planning on using your computer for graphic desigining, a mac is a great choice.

Considering your current situation, here's what I would say the benefits of the mac are:
      1-  iLife suite included with every mac (iMovie, GarageBand, iTunes, iWeb, iCal)
      2-  Great, great apps for graphic designers on a mac (note, though, that you can still buy adobe's suites on a pc)
      3-  Virtually no virus issues.  There are many reasons for this, but without getting into a big discussion, you pretty much don't have to worry about viruses/spyware/adware/malware on macs (at the current time).
      4-  Macs are incredibly easy to use.  Because apple controls the software and hardware that goes into a mac, they try to make everything work together intuitively.  I switched from a Windows machine a few years ago and found it incredibly easy to use. 

For the money that you've got, you could go with a highend macbook or a refurbished macbook pro.  Depending on how much graphic design/video editing/gaming you plan on doing, it could go either way.

Honestly though, if you can handle having a desktop instead of a laptop, I'd go with a nice iMac.  They are a lot cheaper and pack a bigger punch in terms of processing power.

Quantos

Guru
      • Veni, Vidi, Vici
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 11:46:39 PM »

The software can still be quite a bit more expensive too.

socrates

Apprentice

• Yes
      « Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 07:25:49 AM »
      The software can still be quite a bit more expensive too.

I'm curious as to what software you're referring to.  For starters, a mac comes with a much better software package than a windows machine out of the box.  You get iLife which has iMovie and Garageband, two apps that would cost you at least $100 to purchase for a windows machine (windows movie maker does not count as an equivalent).

Furthermore, microsoft office is the same price on both windows and mac.  Same with Adobe's Creative Suite (and any parts of it).

Really the only thing I can think of that costs more is occasionally games.  The part that sucks about big name games on the mac is that they usually come out much later than on PC and often cost an extra $10 to help pay for the porting costs.

Quantos

Guru
      • Veni, Vidi, Vici
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 12:13:35 PM »

Really the only thing I can think of that costs more is occasionally games.  The part that sucks about big name games on the mac is that they usually come out much later than on PC and often cost an extra $10 to help pay for the porting costs.

That's more or less what I had in mind.  There was a time when all the software was more expensive.  Primarily I am referring to just games though.

socrates

Apprentice

• Yes
      « Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 12:21:09 PM »
      That's more or less what I had in mind.  There was a time when all the software was more expensive.  Primarily I am referring to just games though.

I kind of figured that's what you meant with that, and you're right... most software did used to be more expensive on macs.  As macs have gained popularity there are more and more developers, and talent is cheaper.  This has helped to drive down software costs so really it's hard to find a difference in price between the same title on windows or mac.

P_90

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 09:26:46 AM »
        if you were to buy all of the software that comes PRE-LOADED on the mac for the pc...you would be spending ALOT more money for it thenyou would if you were to just buck up and buy a mac...YES infact macs are alot better with graphic design and other design applicable software. especially with the finger gesture feature on the laptops.

UNSCSpartan3

Beginner

• Yes
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 09:28:20 AM »
        Some windows computers support finger gestures....