Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: gateway solo 2500 laptop  (Read 7212 times)

kurplegirl

gateway solo 2500 laptop
« on: May 31, 2005, 07:46:39 AM »
i have a gateway solo 2500 that ask for a password when you go to setup but i dont know what it is nor does my friend, it had windows 98 on it but it wont boot from a floppy cant get it to start with pressing the f8 key. i have  gotten it to setup windows but it gets to prepareing windows setup 100% then nothing else, does anyone know what the problem could be it has a cdrom and floppy and its 233 mhz and the bios version is 10.6and it states when it first comes on booting panel only display mode
« Last Edit: May 31, 2005, 07:47:24 AM by kurplegirl »

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: gateway solo 2500 laptop
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 07:56:03 AM »
Is this a genuine XP CD, or a CD that a computer manufacturer gave you?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Monty_Palmer

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 08:05:25 AM »
Which version of windows are you trying to set up?  The password might be blank.  If you are performing a new install  it is not asking what the password is, it is asking you what you want the password to be.  If you are installing XP on a machine with a 233 MHz processor, your headaches are just beginning.  I would not do that as chances are you have 64MB RAM which is not going to provide you with a good computing experience.

If you are trying to reinstall 98, just perform the install that will do the whole enchilada anew.  Then it will not ask you for the admin password until it is asking you to set it.

Hope this Helps.

kurplegirl

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 08:13:27 AM »
i have tryed windows 98 and windows millennium and windows 2000 none of these disk came with this computer. and windows 98 is not an upgrade disk either, the other 2 are ones that my friend gave me as for the password it doesnt ask that on windows setup it it ask for a password when i first turn the computer on and press the f2 key to get to setup u know were u go into were u want to change the boot options and other stuff like that when setting up windows it will get to 100% on preparing windows setup then it stops

Monty_Palmer

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 08:41:32 AM »
Turn on the machine so that there is power going to the CD tray, open it and put in the CD that you want to install from.  Turn off the machine, and turn it on again.  It will load the installation routine.  If you are trying to access our BIOS and it is password protected, then you are going to have to flash your BIOS, meaning going to the website of the BIOS company, downloading anther version, and following their instructions as how to flash the BIOS.  

Also, please use punctuation to make it easier for those of us who are trying to help to read what you are trying to say.

Hope this Helps.

kurplegirl

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005, 12:23:01 PM »
does anyone know how i can find a windows product key on a computer when windows wont start at all,i cant reinstall windows without it

merlin_2

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2005, 01:45:58 PM »
its either on the disk case<win98/2k/xp disk>......or on the laptop case<labeled msoft>when you boot up this pc......<black screen> is asks you for a password yes or no!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2005, 01:48:03 PM by merlin_2 »

kurplegirl

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2005, 02:09:02 PM »
it only ask for a password when i push f2 to got to setup WINDOWS WONT START AT ALL HELLO i have no disk for the laptop at all

merlin_2

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2005, 02:13:48 PM »
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000235.htm

if this laptop has an ibm travelstar hard drive......i would forget.......even my mate who works for ibm.....cant unlock the drive ;D

confused on this post :-/.....password///////pd keys.....

start reposting your problem .....properly.....
« Last Edit: June 13, 2005, 02:24:46 PM by merlin_2 »