Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Slave Drive SATA hard drive  (Read 3408 times)

Mistamalo1

Topic Starter

Rookie

Slave Drive SATA hard drive
    « on: July 28, 2009, 03:02:08 PM »
    I Have Sony Vaio VGC-RB34G Running Windows XP Media Edition. My computer came with No XP CD just the Cheap Recovery System From the Control Panel That I had to Make using Two DVDS. My Original Hard Drive Has a Currupt File that will not Load Windows So I bought another Hard drive of same Make and Model I Installed and Now when I go to boot Windows I have to Press F5 to Run windows from the Second hard drive. When In BIOS it shows both HD And I dont know How to Slave the Original so When I start It runs The New Hard drive and Shows The Original as a x: drive  so I can Copy THE system File I need to the Currupt Hard drive.. This sony is giving me trouble from day one.. Please Help

Guitar3214

Starter

Re: Slave Drive SATA hard drive
      « Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 03:10:02 PM »
      There should be a setting in BIOS under Boot in which you chose which order it boots up each hard drive. If that doesn't work, you made need to take the original out and replace it with the new one to make it the primary drive....

Mistamalo1

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 03:13:15 PM »
        I was sure that in Bios I had my second hard drive as second choice for boot. I do want them both connected so i can swap files. But even when I have the second Hard drive Booted in windows it does not reconize the Original Hard drive

xavier

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 03:24:54 PM »
        The new hdd has to be formated from discmanagment

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 06:26:27 AM »
        For this to work as you want it the first HDD with an OS on it would have to be connected and the OS installed to the 2nd HDD...
        There is no BIOS switch or voodoo setting that will do this for you...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Mistamalo1

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 04:24:28 PM »
          ok the only reason i wanted to do this is the original HDD is currupt and wanted to copy files from the New HDD to the old. I can load and use windows in the new HDD But just dont see the other as a drive and they are both conected. Option# 2 i disconnected the New HDD an I found somone with XP CD i ran Recovery console and tried copy system file from command prompt, but wouldn't allow it. so I Ran FIXBOOT and I got Error message "cant find system drive" tried BOOTCFG and I think the message I Got was "The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems" I thought for sure with the recovery console I could get it fixed without reformat. I wanted to stay away from format because i have tons of pictures and music that i dont want to loose. I do have Search and Recover 4 That claims to dig deep after format but NOt sure if i want to try that yet.. it has been good with finding files on the other drive... Anyone Have more Sujestions?? experianced Help is much Needed.