Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need to connect graphics card SPDIF(in) to motherboard SPDIF(out2)  (Read 11761 times)

fishrman

Topic Starter

Starter

Motherboard is an ASUS M2N62-AR (HP calls it an ACACIA-GL6E).  The SPDIF out2 is a 3 pin connector.  The question is which pin is which?  Need to connect the cable from the graphics card to the ground pin and the SPDIF pin on the motherboard.

HP's motherboard manual specs identify the SPDIF out2 connector, but not the individual pins.

ASUS doesn't even list this motherboard on their site?????????? (so there is no manual and thus no specs.)

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!
    « Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 09:21:06 AM by fishrman »

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Need to connect graphics card SPDIF(in) to motherboard SPDIF(out2)
    « Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 09:23:15 PM »
    why would a graphics card have SPDIF...  ???
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

fishrman

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 10:34:39 PM »
      Needs the SPDIF for the HDMI output.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 01:23:56 AM »
      alright, so let's go over this-

Your trying to connect the SPDIF out header on the motherboard (I assume from onboard sound?) to the video card (which I also guess uses the audio, and it's own video to create a HDMI signal) You don't list a video card... are you using the on-board video as well?

Is this your motherboard here? as you said it labels the SPDIF out 2 connector but not the actual pinouts.

This thread here might be helpful; post #6 lists some pinout info, but it's five, not 3 pins. however- the two pins on the right in the image are NC (not connected) and IN, neither of which would be used for the graphics card connection. If you can identify pin 1 on the header, (usually indicated with a small triangle on that side, or other unique marking) then you should be able to identify VCC, OUT and GND, of which you want OUT and GND (if I understand your dilemma) which would be pin 2 and 3. I can't really make out much from the image, myself, though. most connectors of this sort have a notch in the plug and the header to make sure you plug it in the right way. on the header, the notch can usually be thought of as the top, and the pins are left to right.

fishrman

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 12:21:13 PM »
        Yes, I'm trying to connect the onboard audio to an MSI-N9400GT graphics card via a 2  wire SPDIF cable.  As I said earlier the graphics card needs the audio signal to enable the HDMI output signal.

Yes, that is my motherboard.  The board layout drawing depicts the SPDIF out2 fairly accurately.  The notch in the header is towards the top and in line with the pins.

I have examined the board around the SPDIF header and cannot find any marks that  identify pin1.  However, if I follow your train of thought, then that would make the pin on the left side of the header pin1 (right?)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        « Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 12:25:59 PM »
        I have examined the board around the SPDIF header and cannot find any marks that  identify pin1.  However, if I follow your train of thought, then that would make the pin on the left side of the header pin1 (right?)

Yes, but I'm not 100% that that is the "standard" way of making them; it seems to be the case with IDE ribbon cables, floppy disk cables, and a number of others. the problem here is that the other pin, the one you don't want, is VCC (which I believe would be power) since the graphics are expecting simply a signal and a ground, chances are connecting the VCC can cause damage.

Only way, I can think, to be sure, would be to use a Multimeter to test each one; the VCC pin will have a steady flow, whereas the other two will be erratic (signal) and nonexistent (ground).

fishrman

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 01:42:56 PM »
          Yeah, the manual for the card warns that "improper connection may cause damage to the card."

Guess I'll try the multimeter approach.

Will let you know what happens.  Thanks!

Computer_Commando

Hacker
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 04:59:49 PM »
          If the 2 outer pins are Vcc and Gnd, it's a simple matter to determine which is which, by using the DC scale on the multimeter.  Then, that would make the center pin Out.  Be careful to not short the pins with the test meter leads, since you're doing this with the mobo powered.