Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: what to do? what to do? I can't format...  (Read 8039 times)

Neodragon

what to do? what to do? I can't format...
« on: March 20, 2004, 06:05:52 AM »

what to do? what to do?
I have accepted the fact that I will have to format my hard disk after chkdsk /r and chkdsk /p and fixmbr all failed to complete.
However, on formating through the recovery console I get: a blue error screen saying ... the problem seems to be caused by the following file: partmgr.sys

It also says:
STOP: 0x000000CE (0xF7933667,0x00000000,0xF7933667,0x00000000) partmgr.sys

Please help. Can I somehow reformat my hard disk and at least try recovering some of my important files? Or will I have to buy another hard disk - I have a lap top and this will be pricey...

MetalMilitia

Re: what to do? what to do? I can't format...
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2004, 09:39:00 AM »
I found this, but i dont know if it will help you, becasue if you cant get into windows it will be hard in get/install the SP.

SYMPTOMS
When Partition Manager (Partmgr.sys) receives the Plug and Play IRP_MN_QUERY_DEVICE_RELATIONS| RemovalRelation command, Partition Manager forwards the call to lower level drivers. However, the results are not sustained, so the device does not include remove relations, and must be removed individually. This behavior may cause a memory leak.

CAUSE
This problem may occur if Partition Manager does not combine the results that are reported by the lower level driver, but instead overwrote a memory pointer.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Windows 2000. For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Q260910 How to Obtain the Latest Windows 2000 Service Pack
The English version of this fix should have the following file attributes or later:

Date         Time   Version        Size    File name    
  ------------------------------------------------------
  12-Nov-2001  13:36  5.0.2195.4621  11,792  Partmgr.sys

STATUS
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article. This problem was first corrected in Windows 2000 Service Pack 3.