Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: First Computer Mature Age  (Read 5618 times)

cul1649

Topic Starter

Rookie

First Computer Mature Age
    « on: August 22, 2009, 10:11:17 AM »
     :)Good morning all. I have a friend who is 78 and
    she is going to buy her first computer however, what should she buy?
    My friend will use her computer for: Banking, BPay, Food Shopping, surfing the Internet, email, and word. My friend is totally inexperienced, but due to all the new rules regarding the cost as to paying bills, shopping convenience, and replies to business email etc. she has decided the decision has been taken out of her hands. Should she have Dial-Up or
    Broadband?
    Your thoughts  plus suggestions will be appreciated.
    Thank you.
    Regards
    cul1649 :)

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: First Computer Mature Age
    « Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 10:26:06 AM »
    Broadband often does not cost much more than dialup so I highly recommend broadband if it's available.  Does she know what's available in her area?  Advise to her to look for package deals.  For example, her telephone company may offer DSL and they may have a package that cost a little less than simply adding DSL to the features of her current phone service.

Regarding computer selection, any machine at the low end of the price spectrum should be quite adequate for her needs.  In the current market, that means the cost of the computer alone could be less than $400.  Of course, if she buys a package with monitor and/or printer, the cost will be higher.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 12:09:59 PM »
      In addition (maybe even before she actually makes the purchase) she could investigate the availability of a resource close by to help her to learn the basics of the computer. Quite often there are people that offer assisted free hands on training for seniors. Libraries,schools,seniors groups,etc.If she has access to a local computer shop and doesn't need to be at the leading edge of technology (which in my opinion she doesn't) she should be able to find a package deal on a used or refurbished computer. Ensure that if this route is followed that even a 30 day warranty is provided.truenorth
      P.S. I am only 8 years shy of her age and strongly urge her to go for it. It may add immeasurably to her enjoyment of life.

Griff

Intermediate

• Experience: Expert
        « Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 12:17:49 PM »
        Hmm... maybe a Mac Mini? Since this will be here first computer, it might be better to get her something simple. That way you can skip all of the of the security lessons, what links to be careful of, how to identify fake warnings, and all of that junk.

Since this is here first computer, I assume she has no preference over Windows or Mac right?
        Don't forget to give thanks if I was able to help ya! Please?

Quantos

Guru
        • Veni, Vidi, Vici
          • Yes
          • Yes
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 12:57:33 PM »
        Hmm... maybe a Mac Mini? Since this will be here first computer, it might be better to get her something simple. That way you can skip all of the of the security lessons, what links to be careful of, how to identify fake warnings, and all of that junk.

Since this is here first computer, I assume she has no preference over Windows or Mac right?

That might be the best suggestion.
        Evil is an exact science.

hejlik

Hopeful

• Have a GREAT day!!
          « Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 02:45:49 PM »
          Although I am not a fan of mac, I agree that a mac is the best choice for someone has little knowledge of computer security. 

The only problem with her getting a mac is she is sure to have questions for family and friends  about how to do certain things. And unless she is talking to someone who also owns a mac, it might get confusing when trying to explain to her how to do it. 
          Dan

No matter where you go    there you are.

ASUS P5B DELUXE, Intel Core 2 Duo E6400, CORSAIR XMS2 4GB DDR2 800, GeForce 7900GS, SeaSonic EPS12V 500W Power Supply, Western Digital Caviar 160GB SATA Hard Drive

Quantos

Guru
          • Veni, Vidi, Vici
            • Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 02:49:38 PM »
          That's what we're here for silly.   ;)

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 04:52:09 PM »
            Well not entirely.have you ever posed any questions on the Apple forum? Not at all like the rest of the CH forums. I agree with hejik re the concerns about support. If she gets something with Vista or Win 7 that ought to really kill any enthusiasm for her computer involvement. truenorth

Griff

Intermediate

• Experience: Expert
              « Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 06:18:24 PM »
              You could invite here to a day at the Apple Store. They have special free one-on-one courses where an employee will guide you through everything you want to do.

And yes, ComputerHope.com doesn't have the strongest Apple section. But that doesn't mean you can't ask on another site. (PLus, would she really come to ComputerHope.com?)
              Don't forget to give thanks if I was able to help ya! Please?

Quantos

Guru
              • Veni, Vidi, Vici
                • Yes
                • Yes
              « Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 06:35:03 PM »
              Yes, I realize that we don't have the best Mac support.  There are other forums for the Mac though.

I was being facetious in my previous post - I certainly don't want to do Mac support.

hejlik

Hopeful

• Have a GREAT day!!
                « Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 07:02:11 PM »
                At 78 years old, she may need a lot of help.

My mother in law tried a computer for a couple years and never could get the hang of it and she wasn't even 60 yet.  She had to have help turning it on. I mentioned copy and paste to her once and she looked at me like I was an alien.

Her first course of action will most likely be family and friends.
                Dan

No matter where you go    there you are.

ASUS P5B DELUXE, Intel Core 2 Duo E6400, CORSAIR XMS2 4GB DDR2 800, GeForce 7900GS, SeaSonic EPS12V 500W Power Supply, Western Digital Caviar 160GB SATA Hard Drive

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
                  • Yes
                • Experience: Experienced
                « Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 08:34:01 PM »
                NO!!! No mac!!! Get something like an hp or an acer or something like that.  Not a dell!

smeezekitty

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2009, 09:06:37 PM »
                If she gets something with Vista or Win 7 that ought to really kill any enthusiasm for her computer involvement. truenorth
                LOL one thing about windows vista and its extream security
                its fine for those of us that know how to disable it and use custom security and common sense
                but a 78 year old will not be able to do that
                and also UAC can be very stressful

cul1649

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2009, 01:05:45 AM »
                   :) Dear Soybean,Truenorth, Hejlik, and Computerruler, Quantos and Griff. Thank you all so much for your speedy input.
                  Fortunately price is not a problem, and whatever she buys will be brand new.

More information about the type of computer would be appreciated please.
                   Don't let the age fool you, she is a smart lady.
                  The choice will be Windows. Should she buy a PC Tower? Mini Tower? or Laptop?
                  Program, although XP is no longer supported, will the new computers still be loaded with the XP program? How much RAM etc.? We need all the physical details. Brand suggestions

As an introduction to computers, we have a previously purchased copy of a well
                  respected computer course, which includes introduction to a computer, word, the internet and email, plus other items she will not need. If necessary she is then happy to do a short beginners course at the local TAFE.

People in stores do not tend to take older people seriously when they walk into a computer area. So when we go to the store we want to know exactly what we want, and command respect. For example when you are talking to a friend about a new computer you mention the brand, what you expect to be inside the PC initially, and then what extras you will be adding to it. We would like to go to the store with the correct information :)
                  Thank you
                  Regards
                  cul1649 23.08.09 4.59p.m.

smeezekitty

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2009, 01:25:17 AM »
                  i think that even younger people such as 50 have trouble with vista
                  trying to learn vista is like trying to learn
                  how to build a house
                  maybe a low to mid end desktop
                  but maybe some other member could decide