Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Video card upgrade question for Toshiba laptop  (Read 7963 times)

Video card upgrade question for Toshiba laptop
« on: August 26, 2009, 02:00:20 PM »
I have a Toshiba Satellite A505-S6960 laptop. I need to upgrade the video card to be able to play a game that I just bought. I am told I need to have at least a 256MB DirectX 9.0c compatible video card with pixel shader 3.0.

I called Toshiba support and they said that it is possible to upgrade the video card in my model of laptop, but they said it may possibly cause some other problems, I believe maybe making some software incompatible or the driver or something. I don't really know. Does anybody know if changing the video card causes more problems than it is worth? It would be a real bummer if In was unable to play the newer games on my brand new laptop.

Also, if I were to upgrade, I really have no idea what to buy. How do I know what video cards will fit in my laptop?

Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Video card upgrade question for Toshiba laptop
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 02:53:41 PM »
Laptops aren't suitable for gaming in general...
You don't have a video card...you have a video chip.
Replacing it would entail a trip to the shop...dis-assembling the laptop and soldering a new chip in there...
That's provided the MBoard will accept a better chip.

There are add-on vid cards for laptops but be prepared to pay about as much as some new laptops cost.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

zonatedace

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 02:57:25 PM »
    yes i have to agree with patio if you wanna play it that bad i suggest you get a desktop. they are better for gaming and also easily upgraded. if you insist on playing on a laptop then be ready to dish some bucks and effort!!!

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 03:22:42 PM »
    You said your laptop is brand new?  I would try to get a refund, then spend a little more for a laptop suitable to play your game

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 03:30:09 PM »
    He never stated the laptop was new...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 03:33:41 PM »
      Laptops aren't suitable for gaming in general...
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 03:37:54 PM »
      He never stated the laptop was new...

Quote from: The OP
      It would be a real bummer if In was unable to play the newer games on my brand new laptop.

Query: Do the forum rules permit a username to be an email address? Even if they do, is it a wise thing?

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 03:40:20 PM »
        cost is cut some were
        Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Salmon Trout

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 03:44:16 PM »
        Laptops are portable computers. They need to be light and have good battery life. Also cost comes into it. For 650 USD you get onboard graphics. If you want a gamer's laptop pay 2 to 3 times that. Or get a desktop PC.

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 05:22:15 PM »
        Query: Do the forum rules permit a username to be an email address? Even if they do, is it a wise thing?
        I dont know as those email harvesting bots look for user names or not.  If they dont then its fine, but if they do, you will get tons of spam

smeezekitty

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 06:03:49 PM »
        high end laptops are ok for games

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        « Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 06:11:38 PM »
        I dont know as those email harvesting bots look for user names or not.  If they dont then its fine, but if they do, you will get tons of spam

they look for e-mail addresses. the E-mail address is on the page and quite easy to harvest, same as if it was in the message body.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

UPHawkeye

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 07:52:59 PM »
        Thanks for the responses.

The guy at Toshiba support said it WAS upgradable and I also watched a youtube video where a guy demonstrated the replacement of a Dell laptop video card, which was very quick and easy, requiring no soldering, just screw drivers. Is a Toshiba that much different than a Dell?

BTW, I did not choose to use my email address as my user name. I just posted the message and there it somehow was.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 08:27:16 PM »
          yeah  ::) why do you think that there seperate companies.  You cant even use the same parts between the two.

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 12:05:46 PM »
          You can use the same hard drive, ram, and processor