Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Control Panel Icon Changed - Can't Change It Back  (Read 3664 times)

Gary M. Pelat

Control Panel Icon Changed - Can't Change It Back
« on: June 07, 2005, 12:54:45 PM »
Somehow my control panel icon on the XP start menu got changed to the Windows 98 low-resolution one and it sticks out like a sore thumb. I have tried rebuilding icons without it changing back.

Is there anyway I can get the Windows XP high resolution control panel icon back?

merlin_2

Re: Control Panel Icon Changed - Can't Change It B
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2005, 01:20:45 PM »
right click on desktop......change the theme from windows classic......back to winxp......see if it does it..

Gary M. Pelat

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 05:06:02 PM »
Hi Merlin and thanks for the suggestion. However, the procedure was not successful. I think something changed my registry entries but I am not sure. Any other ideas?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005, 08:18:27 PM »
    Gary M. Pelat....... Right click on the control panel icon ....and choose properties.......then click on shortcut tab......then click on change icon ....choose the one you want and then click apply and ok .....Why do you suggest the registry has been changed .......were you changing things ?

let us know

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Gary M. Pelat

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2005, 09:12:38 AM »
    Hi again. I just speculated about the registry, I haven't manually changed anything. I can drag the control panel icon from the start menu onto the desktop and change the icon there. But then I can't drag it back onto the start menu. Also, there is no properties on the right click of an icon when it is on the start menu. I appreciate anything you can think of.

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2005, 11:50:24 AM »
    either chose the f8 on boot .....chose last good config....or chose safe mode      and in the cmd prompt     type sfc/scanow     or  the reg cmd......it will bring up a list like reg/restore etc.......or even this >
    http://aumha.org/regfiles.htm

icon repair reg patch..........options..