Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How is this for weird?  (Read 2139 times)

Rapid_Dissent

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
How is this for weird?
« on: September 04, 2009, 01:00:33 AM »
I've been having internet connection issues with my desktop PC over my wireless network for some time now. Replaced the old card, even went so far as to replace the router.

Short version; I have two monitors, and when both of them are on, I have no problems with the network, but if I deactivate the second monitor in the system, I can barely maintain a connection with my wireless router.

Specs-
MSI P965 Platinum, 2.4 core2 duo (E6600), GeForce 8800 GTS (the old 640MB version), Viewsonic 17" primary (DVI), Sony Bravia 40" secondary (DVI to HDMI converter on the video card), controlled with UltraMon.

Perhaps this is relevant. A while back, I was running an old 802.11b card from D-Link, and the exact opposite was happening. I couldn't get onto the network if I had both monitors on; but with only one, there was no problem. Replaced the power supply and the problem went away (Pretty sure it was legitimately the power supply; I was running 450 watts to drive a power hungry video card, 1 optical and 3 magnetic drives. Upgraded to 700 watts). Had to replace the NIC shortly thereafter, which again fixed my problem at the time.

Now there's this... not really a problem, per se, as I generally run with the 2nd monitor active (if not on), but it'll bug me incessantly until I fix it.

I really don't know where to begin troubleshooting, but UltraMon is my primary suspect at the moment; I'll fiddle with it tomorrow and post my results. Any thoughts or input would be appreciated; thanks.
All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
-Thomas Jefferson

wbrost

Intermediate
    Re: How is this for weird?
    « Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 07:19:20 AM »
    this is a shot in the dark but are you running multiple UltraMon display profiles? You could try and see if there is a profile for single monitors and if so what the network settings are for it.

Rapid_Dissent

Topic Starter

Rookie
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: How is this for weird?
    « Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 02:43:31 PM »
    When I select 'Display Profiles' in the UltraMon menu, a windows explorer window comes up and there's nothing in it. I don't see any networking options under the options menu, either.  To be honest I haven't fooled around with UltraMon too much; just set the monitors to my liking and don't really fiddle with it.

Another thing I thought of after posting was when I first come home last night (and the computer was set to one monitor), the internet performed just fine for a couple minutes, then it was like the rug was pulled out from under it quite suddenly.
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    -Thomas Jefferson