Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: dual boot gone bad  (Read 2016 times)

eaglesfan63

dual boot gone bad
« on: September 09, 2009, 08:35:49 PM »
Ok, so after making a ubuntu cd and trying ubuntu out on it, I decided it would be a good idea to try and dual boot my old laptop with windows xp home edition and ubuntu 9.04. First i tried to partition the hard drive, but that did not work, so i researched it and decided to use wubi instead. I went through that process and put aside 6 gigabytes for ubuntu to run off of. The process went well, and for a while both systems worked together. After awhile, though, windows would not run untill I did like a "clean disk process?" or something. I believe it erased something important to the ubuntu booting system, because now ubuntu will not run, it only goes to a shell, and when i select windows to run, it only restarts the computer and displays the "chose which operating system to run" window again, making it run in a continuous circle. I am only able to post this because i am using the ubuntu cd that i made earlier. It is my goal to have ubuntu off the computer and to have windows back running again. could someone please help? i promise to never mess with this sort of thing again... any advice would be much appreciated. Also is there any way to do this without the windows cd? i lost mine.. thanks

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: dual boot gone bad
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 08:56:54 PM »
Before you install Ubuntu, or any other OS, you should have some kind of back up that is something other that the same hard drive.
You should be able to get windows XP back to its original state by doing a "repair" install. Or maybe the 'Recovery Console'. Both are well documented features of the standard retail version of XP and most, if not all,  of the OEM versions.

Here is just one of many links:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/doug92.mspx
Or search this forum for 'XP Repair' and see how others did it.