Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: switches spliting sig?  (Read 2115 times)

roscho04

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

switches spliting sig?
    « on: September 22, 2009, 12:11:54 PM »
    I have to ask, is it true? lets say i have dsl coming in then to switch( 4 port )then two 2nd switch (4 port) and then to 3 switch (4 port). Now that sig. at 100% going into switch 1 one computer(1) is on at that switch and one computer(2) is on at switch 2 and two computer(3 and 4) is on at switch 3. If that sig is 100% into switch 1 does computer1 get 50% and computer 2 get 25% of 50 % and computer 3 and 4 share the rest, if they are all running at same time. wow i am confused ??? ??? :||x
    « Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 12:30:19 PM by roscho04 »

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: switches spliting sig?
    « Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 12:38:20 PM »
    First of all, I am not here to insult you. But sometimes I make people very mad. You are very observant and intelligent. Perhaps that is way you have chosen not to dig into network documentation.

You assumption in you question does not ...
    even quality as a wrong answer.

Because a wrong answerr becomes right when you just change a few words. I can't do that with your hypothesis.

The whole idea of TC/IP and others forms of packet communication allow for many users to share the same network, even when the network seems to be a chaos. Sharing is done by need and priority and other factors to give the best possible speed to active users.

Aside from hardware issues, the convoluted network you describe can give full speed, over 95%,  to a single user while the other computers are idle.

Here is a better definition that what I can give:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packet_switching
    You may also want to read:
    http://networksmadesimple.net/  

roscho04

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 12:47:45 PM »
      I do under stand that the problems in the world can not be solved be the level of thinking that created them.  sorry for the noob post. I just would like to get the best out of my network i can (like most would) I can take it if i ask for it so don't hold back LOL thanks for the link i will read them..

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 02:35:24 PM »
      ...the problems in the world can not be solved be the level of thinking that created them.
      Hey, that's right on!
      Calls to mind something I heard on the news.
      I gave you a thanks for that!   :)