Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Winmgmt Event 4 :- "failed To Load Mof ... While Recov"; 51 new wbem\*MOF files  (Read 3591 times)

ALAN_BR

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    This only happened once immediately after reboot following removal of Comodo Firewall 3.5.
    This event has never repeated after many reboots.
    I have not seen any subsequent errors of any sort.

Does the absence of repetition indicate that Windows succeeded on the next reboot,
    or that Windows has given up trying to mend a fatal wound ? ? ?

There were 4 off such error events within 1 second, designating these *.MOF files
    C:\WINDOWS\MICROSOFT.NET\FRAMEWORK\V1.1.4322\ASPNET.MOF
    C:\AC30D119A40F2C8C8708A20576\I386\LICWMI.MOF
    C:\WINDOWS\MICROSOFT.NET\FRAMEWORK\V3.0\WINDOWSCOMMUNICATIONFOUNDATION\SERVICEMODEL.MOF
    C:\WINDOWS\MICROSOFT.NET\FRAMEWORK\V2.0.50727\ASPNET.MOF

I later found that starting a few seconds before that, and finishing a few seconds after,
    there were 51 *.MOF updated time stamps in C:\WINDOWS\System32\wbem\AutoRecover.
    Comparing Acronis images of C:\ taken before and after removal/replacement of the Firewall I see :-
    4 original *.MOF files that retained timestamps of last year and before
    7 original *.MOF files that were halved in size as they were modified
    44 brand new *.MOF files I have not seen before.

Do all these extra *.MOF files in ...\wbem\AutoRecover indicate a major disaster ?
    Does the absence of further WinMgmt event 4 errors show recovery without failure on the next reboot ?
    Does the continued presence of all these *.MOF files show that after recovery Windows was too lazy to delete redundant files ?
    Or has it left it all for me to try and recompile or something ?

I am hoping to be assured that all is well,
    or to have a quick fix that is sure to work,
    otherwise I could play safe and restore the system via Acronis image with the old Firewall,
    and then try to be more gentle as I replace the Firewall,
    and then repeat all the other updates and adjustment done in the last 7 weeks.
    I do not want to repeat the last 7 weeks, but I would rather do that than wait until I discover what is badly broken,
    and then have to repeat everything I might be doing next year ! !

I am using XP Home with SP3

Regards
    Alan

ALAN_BR

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      bump