Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is linux safe from trojan?  (Read 10395 times)

hannibal_lecter

Topic Starter

Rookie

Is linux safe from trojan?
    « on: September 23, 2009, 05:09:54 AM »
    Hello everyone. I am thinking to change my current os to linux ubuntu. I am just curious, can trojan, keylogger and backdoor and other malwares still affect my pc if i used linux?  Since I've heard linux is much safer os. And what is the best anti malware for linux? I am a novice for linux. Thanks in advance.

Boozu

Hopeful

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Is linux safe from trojan?
    « Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 06:00:18 AM »
    It wont be affected by the exact same "trojan, keylogger and backdoor and other malwares" but there are still ones for linux but you will be safer especially if you are not going onto mysterious websites.
    Don't worry about it.  If it's not good at stock, then it's not good.

hannibal_lecter

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 08:29:51 AM »
      Thanks for the fast reply. I am always fully aware before entering any site. Thanks for the advices. 

nate22

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 08:29:37 PM »
        Simply put Yes and No.
        You have the fact that its safER but Linux is not SAFE completely.
        Think of it from a hackers perspective, you as a hacker want to steal credit card information.
        Who are you going to target?
        Widely use windows uses? Commonly windows users are also a little less experience in computers.
        Or Linux which isn't as widely used for personal computing? Also if your a Linux user your probably at least a little knowledgeable about computers.

Hope it helps

hannibal_lecter

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 01:02:12 AM »
          Thanks, nate22!

mroilfield

Mentor
            • Yes
            • Yes
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 01:15:31 AM »
          Commonly windows users are also a little less experience in computers.
          Also if your a Linux user your probably at least a little knowledgeable about computers.

Complete rubbish!
          You can't fix Stupid!!!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 03:26:08 AM »
          Complete rubbish!

err no- that's true.

I've never had to explain to a Linux user what their pwd file was for.

But how many times have I explained that the recycle bin is not a safe place to keep files?

Windows is more prevalent then any other OS and therefore beginners, not really knowing the different will stick with whatever is on the machine they end up buying, which is usually Windows.

That being said the wording was wrong- it should have been something along the lines of "a higher percentage of windows users are inexperienced with computers and the internet in general then Linux users" which is freaking true.

First off- I doubt that anything more then 10% of windows users have EVER had to install Windows from scratch. Nearly every Linux user has to do this.
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

mroilfield

Mentor
            • Yes
            • Yes
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 03:32:43 AM »
          err no- that's true.

I've never had to explain to a Linux user what their pwd file was for.

But how many times have I explained that the recycle bin is not a safe place to keep files?

Windows is more prevalent then any other OS and therefore beginners, not really knowing the different will stick with whatever is on the machine they end up buying, which is usually Windows.

That being said the wording was wrong- it should have been something along the lines of "a higher percentage of windows users are inexperienced with computers and the internet in general then Linux users" which is freaking true.

First off- I doubt that anything more then 10% of windows users have EVER had to install Windows from scratch. Nearly every Linux user has to do this.

Facts and figures please.
          You can't fix Stupid!!!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 03:50:57 AM »
          common experience. Trust me, it doesn't necessarily reflect on the operating system, it's simply what happens. Beginners start somewhere. they buy a computer. what's on the computer? Windows.

I Don't need "facts and figures" when basic deductive reasoning can infer that since a higher percentage of beginners end up using windows that a higher percentage of these beginners will be the type with no initiative- that is- they are simply interested in doing their job and getting out, they don't want to learn the caveats of some right-click menu or how triple-clicking on a paragraph in word selected the entire paragraph- they learn the basic operating instructions and use them to a T.

While some beginners choose to use Linux, it is almost always by choice- and in nearly every case, even the greenest novice has the initiative to learn more then the basics; again, not necessarily a reflection on the operating system itself but rather a result of the uneven user demographic between the two. If somebody doesn't choose an OS or doesn't even know what one is- they get windows. If somebody wants Linux they probably know what an Operating System is which is more then we can say for a good percentage of the windows user base, where we even have people in the highest levels of academia saying that the registry "interacts" with other parts of windows, which is the most incorrect thing that can be said. The registry is data, it is manipulated by running processes, not the other way around. This sort of backwards and incorrect terminology only seems to pervade the world of windows, because users will master the right-click drag and suddenly call themselves and expert, and start parroting off random nothings that are likely just quotes right out of some technical magazine whose "technical" advice borders on the insane. This is why we have so many myths about windows, such as registry cleaners and the proper size of the pagefile- how many Windows users even understand Ring 0 versus Ring 3? Not a lot. over Half of all Linux users DO understand and those that don't have the appropriate mindset and the initiative to learn.

It's not a question of user stupidity- if that's the case, we were all born stupid, but we all know that's not the case. Just because, for example, somebody hasn't had the concept of a file system or a file or a folder or the heirarchal file system click in their head doesn't make them stupid- Intelligence is the potential to learn, not the ability to morass vast stores of useless and trivial information. Many windows users that I class as uninitiated simply haven't considered that the PC is something that, with proper study, could make their jobs easier- rather then, for example, rushing through the copying of 50 templates and customizing each Dear <username> section, they could learn how to properly do a mail merge and save themselves time. Their devotion of less time to learning how to properly do a task is not a reflection on their intelligence but rather a reflection on their motivation to learn about it.
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Boozu

Hopeful

• Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 05:23:10 AM »
          they are simply interested in doing their job and getting out
          ...So many things I could say...

how many Windows users even understand Ring 0 versus Ring 3? Not a lot.
          I don't know but I am going to find out right now.

hannibal_lecter

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 01:36:57 AM »
            Thanks a lot friends for your precious time  and the wonderful informations about linux given to me. But  i am thinking to keep  using windows at least these  days. Since the computer peripherals of mine seem doesn't support with the linux system yet. And still i have to wait for the right moments to get along with my brain to read the pile of linux books on my table. Being idle is an excuse for this lol. please, bear with me since i'm totally newbie. Thanks.
            « Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 02:03:21 AM by hannibal_lecter »

TheUnixGuy

Beginner

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 01:50:22 AM »
              Hello,

Since the computer peripherals of mine seem doesn't support with the linux system yet.

In case Ubuntu doesn't run on your current hardware (maybe a low end computer), there are other distros to try out.
              You can try Xubuntu as its requirements are quite less. You may want to use the Alternate Install Disc in case your system's spec's are too low down.

And still i have to wait for the right moments to get along with my brain to read the pile of linux books on my table.

In my opinion just reading books without actually looking at what the book is referring to won't help. You should use Linux in order to understand what the book means.
              When it rains, most birds head for shelter; Eagle is the only bird that flies above the clouds to avoid rain.

hannibal_lecter

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 02:01:43 AM »
                Hello, Thanks for your advices. I've tried the printer and the modem didn't fit perfectly to my pc. Sigh. Yeah, you're right about using this method of reading the books :) thanks.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2009, 11:29:09 AM »
                Facts and figures please.

Just read the posts on this *censored* forum to see how dumb Windows users are compared with Linux users. Not including the "I downloaded Obunto and now I can't find My Documents" type people.

Boozu

Hopeful

• Yes
                  • Yes
                « Reply #14 on: December 02, 2009, 02:38:09 PM »
                Just read the posts on this *censored* forum to see how dumb Windows users are compared with Linux users. Not including the "I downloaded Obunto and now I can't find My Documents" type people.
                Inappropriate. Maybe you should read BC's post again. He is not saying that the majority of windows people are dumb but that they are don't have the motivation to learn more then the bare minimum. And if you are an average user then you don't need to know much more than the bare minimum.